CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

My dad stopped the car. I heard the ambulances coming down the street. The firefighters were frantically running around the house with the hoses, but I knew that the house would burn to the ground. I was relieved to see Tyler's dad standing at the edge of the property rubbing his face with his hands. But where was his mom?

All three of us rushed out of the car. I felt like I was in a dream. We walked toward Tyler's dad. The fire was almost out, leaving the house practically in ruins. 

"Kelly," he said in dismay, "They're searching for Kelly." 

My heart sunk. Tyler's mom was everything to him. She was his number-one supporter and inspiration. 

Just then two firefighters emerged from what was left of the house. One of them was carrying the limp body of what looked like Tyler's mom. My mom was standing next to Tyler's dad, sobbing her eyes out. I was too "in shock" to cry. 

They placed Tyler's mom on a stretcher and rushed her into the ambulance. Tyler's dad got in his car and followed the ambulance down the street.

I wondered how things were going with them. I don't think Kelly ever found out that her husband cheated on her. My parents and I went inside our own house. My dad immediately went upstairs and to bed. My mom sat down in the living room and stared blankly at the wall. I brushed my fingers lightly across the walls and the furniture, thankful that it was there. I sat down across from my mom. Her phone rang out in the silence. 

"Hello?" she answered in a very shaky voice. She paused listening to the other end, and then let out a loud breath and began sobbing uncontrollably. She pressed the end button on her phone and dropped to her knees. 

"Mom what is it? What was the phonecall about?" 

"Kelly is dead," she sobbed. 

Then I, too, began to cry. We were both crying hysterically, so my dad came down to see what was going on. When I told him, a grave look spread across his face, but then he turned and went back upstairs. My mom was still crying. 

"Mom, it's okay... we should probably get some sleep." 

"Nooooo, it's not okay. It's my fault," she cried. 

"What, what are you talking about? It couldn't possibly be your fault. C'mon let's go upstairs." 

"It is my fault. They said it started from a candle in the bedroom."

"So how does that make it your fault?" I asked, confused. 

"Because I was there today. I lit that candle." 

"What are you talking about? I was with you all day." 

"No, after we went shopping... before dinner... remember I said I was going to drop food off at grandma's? You stayed home, showing Dad your new clothes." 

"So you went nextdoor instead? And lit a candle? You're not making sense, why...." 

Then it hit me. My mother was sleeping with Tyler's dad. 

"You're the one?" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "How could you? You were ruining a family. A family we were friends with. And what about Dad? And me? And Tyler? And Kelly? Oh wait, you killed her!" 

Furious I stormed up the stairs and slammed my door shut. My mind was racing. My head and heart were pounding. I wanted this to all be a dream. I wanted to wake up and see Tyler tomorrow like nothing happened. I couldn't believe this. My mom not only cheated on my dad, but she did it with Tyler's dad. I couldn't stand to think about it. I paced my room in panic. How was I going to tell Tyler? His mom just died. Did my dad know? 

I finally laid down in my bed, but couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned all night long, my thoughts eating me up. Before I knew it, it was 7:30am, and I had gotten no sleep. I looked my mirror. My eyes were puffy and I had black smears all over my face. My phone buzzed on my night stand. I knew who it was. I could just feel it. 

"Tyler?" I answered.