Keeping Your Distance

𝔸𝕟𝕟𝕒 ℙ𝕆𝕍:

Jack pulled into the dirt road drive way my grandparents had. When he finally stopped the truck I jumped out as fast as I could. I closed the door to the truck and was about to leave when I stood beside the window and said "Hey, thanks for last night. I really just needed that and I'm glad we talked. Call you later." I left before he could say anything. But I caught the small smile that had formed on his face which made me smile. I ran into the house and yelled "Grandma... grandpa. Anyone home?" I heard footsteps which belonged grandma. She walked into the kitchen and just looked at me. I didn't say anything and just sat at the kitchen table. "Where were you?" Her voice being stern. I looked at her and said "I was with Jack. We went out by the fields and just watched the stars in the truck bed. We fell asleep." I couldn't tell her what we actually talked about cause then she would have probably been more mad then she already was. That's the thing, my grandma doesn't like to relive that part of my life. I mean I understand why. But that is also the reason Jack does what he can around here to help my grandparents. I think he feels like he owes it to them as like a sorry. "Honeybee, you were hanging with Jack. In a car." I sighed and said "Grandma you don't have to worry. I'm fine. It happened a year ago and it's not like he crashed on purpose." "I don't care if he did or not. He could have killed the boy of you. Honeybee all I'm saying is keep your distance. Don't get close." There are those words again. First from my sister and now my grandma. I was upset but I just left things alone and said "I know grandma, and I will." Which was a little, tiny lie.

𝕁𝕒𝕔𝕜 ℙ𝕆𝕍:

I have just been thinking about Anna all day long. I know we're best friend but I've always had a little crush on her. How can you not? She is amazing, smart, kind, and more. But I have to build her trust in me again and make up for my stupid mistake. I plan to earn her trust back as long as it takes. My phone starts to ring and I know who it is right away. It's Anna.

Jack: Hey! What's up?

Anna: Hey, wanna swing by later and pick me up. We can go eat at the diner and I promise I won't run away again.

She laughs that small little laugh of hers. Which makes me smile,

Jack: Sure and even if you run out again, I'll be right behind you.

Anna: hahaha. Ok pick me up around 6?

Jack: Of course.

**Time skips to 5:30**

𝔸𝕟𝕟𝕒 ℙ𝕆𝕍:

I'm getting ready before Jack picks me up. I know my grandma doesn't want me to, nor does my sister, but Jack is a nice guy. I don't blame him for what happen. I just want to leave the past in the past. I finish getting ready with time to spare. I sit on my bed and scroll through my phone. I find a picture of Benny and Me. It was the night of the fair. I feel a pit in my stomach start to grow. I start to feel sick. Tears start to surface but I hold them back. Why do I still miss him? Why can't I just forget him? He hurt me so bad and what I'm over here crying while he goes on with his life. I go on his profile page to see what maybe he had been up to. Finally get on and I can't really breathe. I throw my phone away from me and just try and breathe. I tell myself I'm not gonna run. I need to stay put. Breathe. I finally catch my breath but tears are streaming down. He blocked me. Those words circle in my head which makes me feel like I can breathe even less now. Finally I hear the door bell which snaps me out of everything. I wipe my eyes and try and push my feelings and thoughts way down. I can deal with them later. I walk down stairs cause I know it's Jack. But when I open the door, it feels like someone just punched me in the gut. I wasn't expecting who I saw standing in the door way. "Rachel?!?!"