Chapter 23

The sound of crickets overtook the estate, Yomi had gone to sleep, the silence was odd but it was to be expected considering the number of servants who had been killed in the squabble, Sechan was one of the few, who was still awake.

Sechan scratched the chin of the shadow raven nestled on his shoulder. Its eyes gleamed a bright colour of yellow, and it seemed to have pierced through the thin air. Sechan was perched on a branch of a tall willow tree. He overlooked the vicinity through his white blindfold, its colours seeming extremely wishy-washy. His lips were pursed, and he appeared to be pensive, and restless, though no one could figure out the reason why.

Akiho slowly opened the door and slipped through the slight opening and slither by the dark corners of the room. Keeping an eye on the room for anyone else then checked Yomi figure, inspecting any external or internal injury she might have attained before scanning Yomi chakra and saw another chakra meddling with Yomi but not in a malicious way but more of healing her.

Akiho thought 'Chakra exhaustion.' It seems the child has only brains and no brawns, something Akiho is muddled at. Nonetheless, Akiho slipped through the small opening of the door and left walking in the hallway with their mind in a supposition about Yomi statues and power influence, how could a child have this much control with no family or clan to hold her and more importantly the Mazoku.

Apprehending the leader won't be an easy feat, not unless the group is an idiot.

As Akiho was too distracted by their thoughts and didn't notice Sechan right outside the room, settled on a branch, and looked thoughtful.

"Mistress is asleep," Sechan murmured to himself. At first, he saw his employer, Yomi, who happened to be tucked into her bed. This was the first time he had seen her appear similar to a child and perhaps, he was caught off-guard.

The second thing he saw was a red figure next to the dark colour of Yomi's figure - Sechan guessed which person was which by their assigned colours. He was blinded by the blindfold, but he was not colourblind.

He climbed through into the open window along with the chilling light breeze. Afterwards, he pulled the window shut. Turning back on his heel, he saw the red colour was leaving the room, and into the hallway. His legs automatically chased the bright, neon red. As if he were possessed, his hand reached out into the air and brushed against the red locks.

Sechan lifted the strands to his nose, and inhaled, finding that the scent was somehow very familiar to him. He threw it askew and closed the distance between the strange figure and him.

Out of the blue, a self-effacing smile played at his lips. The seductive curve of his lips could put one in a trance. Sechan prompted in a light tone, as if he were old friends with the stranger, "You smell very familiar. Have we met before? Either in my dreams, or...as an enemy."

Akiho turns around and hits sechan hand away from their hair, "sechan" they said with a sigh. "What are you still doing here? Everyone has already left."

"Aki...something," Sechan called out, furrowing his eyebrows, his memories failing him. He didn't usually remember someone's name unless he were to assassinate them, or they were to be his 'sponsor.' He gave a wry smile in return, one that seemed like it shouldn't have belonged on his face because it seemed too innocent, too childlike. Unlike his usual sultry self, he seemed similar to an abashed teenager.

"I'm only here to check up on my mistress. Do not get any wrong ideas, or else you'll only end up hurting your pretty redhead," no longer than a few seconds, Sechan had changed back to his normal self. A half-hearted smile hung on his lips as if he were like a languid, fox on a cold, wintry morning. He seemed to be very much at ease.