Chapter 7

Lilypetal's POV

The gorse tunnel was practically a blur as I dashed through it and into ThunderClan camp. The prey I was holding - a mouse and a finch - were hitting my chin against the wind in my run.

Because yes, I was running. Running like I never had before. I had to skid to a halt, resulting in me nearly falling on my face as I arrived at the fresh-kill pile. Almost as soon as I had stopped, I turned around to face the amused gazes of Whitewing, Brackenfur, and Blossomfall, who had been following just a bit behind me.

"Great StarClan, Lilypetal!" Whitewing purred as she padded up to stand beside me. "The fresh-kill pile isn't going anywhere!"

I purred with amusement, finally setting my prey down so that I could catch my breath. "What is it with some cats?" I meowed breathlessly, my tone lighthearted. "Moving quickly is somehow seen as something that should be judged!"

Brackenfur exchanged a humored glance with Whitewing. "Well, I suppose she's not hurting anyone!" the golden brown tabby tom pointed out.

I gave him a sharp nod as I continued to purr. "Precisely!" I exclaimed. "Besides, I've had this pent-up energy inside of me for moons now!"

After my comment, I turned away from the three other cats for the briefest moment just to let out a contemptuous sniff. And being a warrior again is only a portion of it. Some of it is not necessarily good energy...

Quickly pushing down my angry and bitter thoughts, ones that often tried to make their appearance, I then turned back to the hunting patrol to share one last mrrow of laughter before all of us dispersed. Blossomfall padded off to speak with Ivypool, and Whitewing grabbed a squirrel that I assumed she was going to share with her mate, Birchfall, who was already waiting for her near the Highledge.

I was watching the white she-cat pad off when I suddenly felt a tail lightly begin to nuzzle my head. A bit startled, I turned my head slightly to meet the friendly amber gaze of Brackenfur. Once I had glanced at him, he gave me a single nod before trotting towards the nursery.

I couldn't help but feel warmed by the small affectionate gesture from the tom, one who was kin to me, but not by blood. And soon one of his kits will be my apprentice! I thought happily. I then felt my whiskers begin to twitch skeptically and my unsheathed claws sink anxiously into the ground. Well, I hope...

I then screwed my eyes shut, let out a hiss and shook my head quickly. Great StarClan! Lately, every time I think of something that should be exciting, it always has to be followed by a "maybe not" or a "I hope that it happens". Potentially scary things are coming soon, but it's not the end of the world!

I then flicked my ears. ...What if it is?

I let out an annoyed huff immediately after this thought. "For StarClan's sake," I muttered irritably to myself, my teeth bared as I began to pad towards a log near the camp entrance.

Recently, any thought of the Dark Forest, Ashfur, or my dreams that crossed my mind made me feel like my head was turning into a wild river - unable to get out of it very easily, and plunging deeper and deeper into the water the more that I flowed with it, making it harder to escape.

This meant that I needed to keep myself busy. So, I had decided that I would finally take the time to set a nest for Thornclaw and me in the warriors den - I had the time, and he was currently out on patrol.

After the two of us had talked to Wrenpaw, Lightningpaw and Emberpaw about their first day of training - one that had gone exceptionally well, by the way - we'd been too tired, and it had been a bit too late to fix a nest. So, we'd spent one last night in our nest in the nursery. But we can't take up that space anymore, not when Sorreltail needs it now!