Chapter 2

Goldenshine's POV

I let out a yowl, almost to release the adrenaline and excitement bubbling up inside of me as I pelted through the forest, my fur being blown back by the breeze, and my paws only lightly touching the ground with each step I took.

I briefly looked over my shoulder to glance at the sandy-gray tom that was running just behind me. "Be prepared to admit defeat, because you're about to eat dirt, you turtle!"

"Famous last words!" Dustystorm, my mate, shouted back to me after an amused snort. I then let out a shocked gasp as he nearly seemed to disappear out of thin air from my sight. I looked up to see that Dustystorm had begun to leap up a tree trunk as quickly as any squirrel could.

He really was meant to be a ThunderClan cat, I thought fondly, my heart welling up with pride as I thought about how much my mate had managed to fit into Clan life despite living his entire life as a kittypet until just moons ago.

But no matter how impressed I was with him, or how much I loved and admired him... there was no way in the name of StarClan that I was going to let him win this race. Not even with those exemplary climbing skills he has. "Ah, you think you're clever - going all squirrel-mode, huh?" I called up to my mate as I watched him leap swiftly from branch to branch.

I then let out another yowl of excitement and triumph as I let my bursts of energy further take me forward. "Not as clever as my footing!"

I then felt as if I was running as quickly and swiftly as I ever had in my entire life as I continued to burst through the ThunderClan forest. It almost felt as if StarClan was steering me by how easily I was able to dodge past bushes, leap over roots and make my way around trees.

Eventually, as a certain birch tree came into view, I unsheathed my claws and skidded to a halt, my heart full with success as I watched Dustystorm leap down from a tree just a couple of tail-lengths away.

"Ha!" I meowed, leaping up onto all four paws as Dustystorm padded up to me, his pale blue gaze filled with a mix of mock-annoyance and humor. "I made it to the birch tree first! I win!"

Dustystorm snorted as he brushed clumps of dirt and leaves off of me with his tail. "Barely!" he teased, rolling his eyes. "Come on, you have the advantage - you've been in this forest longer than I have. It's going to come more easily to you!"

"Or you're just a sore loser," I purred as I lightly nudged Dustystorm on the shoulder and licked his cheek. I then pulled away and began to trot in tight circles around my mate. "Admit it! Admit that I won!"

Dustystorm followed my movements as his eyes gleamed. "Fine, you won!" he meowed, sighing as he lashed his tail. I then raised my eyebrows with interest as he put his muzzle up to my ear and hissed into it. "For now."

"Oh, please!" I purred with amusement before sitting down next to Dustystorm, finally taking the time to catch my breath after our long run through the forest. "You just keep telling yourself that," I teased to Dustystorm, flicking one of his ears with my tail.

"Oh, I definitely will - because it's true!" Dustystorm taunted, his eyes now shining with determination. After I purred with amusement once more, his eyes then softened as he sighed. "Well... maybe not."

I tilted my head back at my mate. "What do you mean?"

My head suddenly felt light as Dustystorm then twinned his tail with mine. "You've just seemed so much more like yourself lately," my mate replied, his gaze full of love as we both stood up to begin slowly walking through the forest. "I've seen more of the fiery, energetic Goldenshine that I originally came to like so much."