Chapter 24

Swiftflight's POV

I was just as uninformed as the patrol following behind me through the forest, but I already had a strong idea of the words we'd be hearing once we returned to our camp.

I would never forget the solemn expression I'd seen on Firestar's face as he'd leaped up to the Highledge just moments earlier; the rage, tenacity, and apprehension in his eyes was like nothing I had ever seen before.

There were only a few things - one thing, rather - that I knew of that could intimidate a Clan leader this much. To cause him to be filled with so much determination and anger, but so much fear at the same time...

I was dreading the moment that my suspicions would likely be confirmed, and I was almost glad to be the one that Firestar had chosen to acquire Lilypetal's rescue patrol and bring them back to camp, as it would give me something else to think about for the moment. They had all been anxiously whispering to each other following the warning I'd given them, and I really hoped that they couldn't sense my own nerves and fears as I continued to lead them through our territory.

When the camp entrance actually came into sight, I decided to glance back at the patrol. I immediately locked eyes with my own mother, who was walking just beside Lilypetal and Thornclaw. 

I stared back at her uncertain, worried gaze for a moment, having no idea what to do except shrug back at her. Surely she - Thornclaw and Lilypetal as well - had the same idea as I had about what Firestar would have to say to us, but neither of us wanted to think about it for the moment.

I then shifted my gaze to find that Snowstorm, who had also been on the rescue patrol, slowly padding up to walk beside me. Rather than looking fearful or troubled, her blue eyes were dark and curious. "Gravely serious, huh?" she murmured, reprising my words from earlier. "Well then, I'm glad that you found us so quickly."

I managed to snort with amusement, relieved to actually be speaking with someone else rather than being stuck in my thoughts. "I'm glad that you all were even in ThunderClan territory to find in the first place," I joked, looking up at the star-flitted sky above. 

Nearly dawn now, I realized, flicking my ears. They were really, really fast to return. "And you got Lilypetal back!" I meowed to Snowstorm as I met her gaze again. "How did you all manage to do it so quickly?"

Snowstorm gave a single lash of her tail and sniffed, her eyes glinting with mischief. "Hm... well, let's just say that we got some kittypet help."

"Kittypet help?" I repeated, somewhat confused as I tilted my head to the side. "Do you mean Dustystorm or Cloudtail?"

"Nope!" Snowstorm exclaimed. "We got Oreo to help us!" She then briefly glanced back towards Lilypetal. "He won't admit it to his sister, but Great StarClan, he's definitely got some warrior potential in there."

"I see," I replied, narrowing my eyes and trying to hold back a purr of amusement as I internally observed how cheerful and at ease Snowstorm seemed to be, despite the ominous, cryptic warning I had just delivered to her patrol - something beyond the excitement of being apart of a rescue mission. "Well, then I suppose I partly have Oreo to thank for all of you getting back safely."

I then looked back to Snowstorm from where I'd been glancing at the camp entrance up ahead, and was surprised to find blue eyes full of relief and gratitude staring back at me. "What?" I couldn't help but ask, utterly weirded-out by my friend's behavior.

Snowstorm then gave me a small nudge on the shoulder. "Oreo isn't the only cat that needs thanking right now," she meowed, her eyes still gleaming.

I was beginning to worry that Snowstorm had accidently eaten something strange... or poisonous while she was in the Twolegplace; I wondered if I had ever seen her look so at ease, especially under foreboding circumstances like this. "Well, okay..." I responded through my bewilderment. "Who else, then? Did some other kittypet help you?"