Chapter 27

Swiftflight's POV

I could hear nothing but the chirps of crickets and the quiet stirs of cats from where I sat in ThunderClan's camp - the camp that had been utter chaos just moments ago, and was now empty and completely calm. Or, at least, it seemed that way. Everything seemed so still and serene, I almost wondered if Firestar's announcement, all of the training, and the meeting with my kin had all been a dream.

I was the only one in the moon-lit stone hollow clearing except for Dustystorm and Hazeltail, who were standing guard by the camp entrance many fox-lengths away. Everyone else had gone to their dens, finally taking some time to rest. Because what's the point of integrating battle training at all if you're sleep deprived?

After our small gathering out in the forest, Goldenshine, Lilypetal, Thornclaw and I had tried to get back to camp as quickly as we could, but we had been surprised to find that training actually seemed to be winding down, and were beginning to head off to their dens after the grueling training they'd just endured.

I had simply watched as Lilypetal, Thornclaw and Goldenshine decided to do the same. And, as they had been doing for the entirety of our travel back, Thornclaw and Goldenshine continued to reprimand Lilypetal - expressing their worry at what she insisted that she needed to do.

I hadn't been able to catch the tabby-and-white she-cat's words as she'd whirled herself around just in front of the warriors den to face her mate and her daughter. Her hazel gaze was stern, but sincere and full of assurance as she spoke.

And whatever she said, it actually caused both Thornclaw and Goldenshine to both slowly let their jaws shut, and they simply watched as Lilypetal turned back around and made her way into the warriors den. A few heartbeats later, the two of them exchanged a fearful, troubled glance before walking into the warriors den.

My eyes then fell directly on Thornclaw, who was now staring after his mate as he followed her in. I couldn't help but feel a twinge of sympathy and sorrow for the golden brown tabby tom, who looked completely terrified.

Yet, his eyes didn't reveal any sort of wariness. In fact, he looked just as certain as Lilypetal had when she'd spoken to them, and when she'd made her case to us earlier, saying that speaking to Ashfur in the Dark Forest was something that she had to do. Why she'd ever want to take the time to speak with that fox-heart, I couldn't even begin to guess.

And even though she hadn't given us the direct reason, Thornclaw didn't even seem to need it. He trusts her. He believes every word that she said, I realized, a chill running down my spine. He hates that he does, but... he does.

But I supposed that I was trying to do the same. I obviously had not known Lilypetal as long as Thornclaw and Goldenshine have, but I had quickly noticed her great deal of intelligence and sense, even as a very young kit. Some of her decisions in the past had only seemed impulsive because they were risky. She'd know to not tread her paws where they're not supposed to be, right? I wondered. She wouldn't go to the Dark Forest if she didn't have a good reason to.

I then had twitched my whiskers and narrowed my eyes. Yet... according to Ivypool, she may have been there at least once before.

I glanced back at the warriors den, from where I now stood just a little ways away, feeling much too preoccupied and scattered to even try and sleep. I wonder if she's gone to sleep? Has she gone to the Dark Forest yet?

I then shifted my gaze over to the apprentices den, and all of my uncertainty and concern for my kin suddenly vanished as my eyes fell on the entrance, where I knew that a certain ginger tabby pelt was curled up in a nest.