Chapter 36

Lilypetal's POV

Without hesitation, I jumped forward to take a swipe at Ashfur. To my dismay, the gray-speckled warrior easily dodged my claws, gripping the branch tightly as he ducked down.

I was then completely taken by surprise when Ashfur actually leaped straight at me, managing to pin me down right up against the tree. I struggled under his grip, and winced in pain from my previous battle wounds that were already beginning to open back up. Along with that, Ashfur's large claws were sinking deep into my shoulders.

I could barely stand the pain, and needed to act fast. I was able to use my hind paws to knock the Dark Forest warrior back, actually thrusting him behind me, resulting in him landing just at the edge of the log.

I forced myself to scramble back up as quickly as I could, and I turned around to see that Ashfur was now on stable, solid earth at the edge of the stream, also getting back up to his paws.

For a moment, as I watched him attempt to stand up and catch his breath, I found that I didn't feel a single bit of pain from any of my wounds, the determination and bravery rushing through my blood instead. Keep in mind who you're doing all of this for, Lilypetal.

I was able to run all the way up the log, leaping straight at Ashfur and bowling him over. As soon as I had him pressed into the ground, and my claws were fastened into his shoulders, I swiped him across the face, then proceeding to rake my claws across his flank.

And even though it was my mortal enemy that was beneath my grip, I still felt a twinge of guilt and regret as I lifted a paw to swipe a blow at his neck. I don't care who it is... having to kill any cat doesn't feel good at all.

And unfortunately, my guilt had seemed to hold me back.

I managed to give the Dark Forest warrior a small gash that drew blood, but it hadn't been nearly as deep as it should be. Ashfur still had the strength and ability to slash one of his paws across one of my old flank wounds, causing me to wince and let out a hiss of pain.

With that, he was able to completely push me over to the side, and off of him. I fell onto my side, the pressure of the landing sending another unbearable bout of pain through my body. It's too unbearable for me to even try and make a joke!

As I struggled to get back up, I suddenly felt sharp teeth meet my scruff, and I no longer touched the ground anymore as I felt myself being tossed to the side.

And just within heartbeats, as I slid across the earth, I realized that my back legs weren't touching any sort of ground anymore.

I recognized with complete horror that Ashfur had attempted to toss me over the edge of the cliff, to plummet down into the water and sharp rocks just as I had hoped to do to him.

With a terrified screech, just barely managing to grab onto the ledge with my front paws. My claws were already sliding backwards, and all of my wounds were slowing causing any strength I had to ebb away.

But I still clung to the edge for dear life as I watched Ashfur slowly walk up to the cliff and look down at me with his sickeningly joyed blue eyes. "You've put up quite a fight," he observed.

I managed to reach one of my paws a little further forward, strengthening my grip in the ground in front of me just a bit. "What else am I supposed to do?" I growled up at him.

The gray-speckled tom simply shrugged as he began to pace back and forth above me. "It's quite admirable, actually. You are definitely a cat to be admired, Lilypetal," he meowed. "I have to admit that I even admired you when you first came to the Clans. You've always had so much spirit, so much determination."