Chapter 32

Lilypetal's POV

Well, one Dark Forest patrol has already thought better of messing with the likes of us... I thought, still concentrated on trying to catch my breath after the exhausting skirmish that had ended only moments earlier. It's great... yet I'm having a lot of trouble seeing it as a victory. We're nowhere close to being finished yet...

I then took a deep breath, shifting my gaze to look out into the forest above. ...and neither am I.

The first wave of the Dark Forest cats had swarmed in just as the ThunderClan patrols had dispersed and left for their assigned Clans. It was clear that these Dark Forest cats had come with a mission - leaping into our camp, claws outstretched without a moment's hesitation, and pouncing at the first cats that they saw.

Dens seemed to be shredded within heartbeats, and my heart had sunk having to see so much blood and cats being sent to the medicine den in such a short amount of time.

And although the wave had been trying and brutal, it had been quick, and the Dark Forest spirits had seemed to disappear and flee as quickly as they had made their appearance.

But despite the grueling fight that had already taken place, I found that two good things had come out of its aftermath - no cat had been gravely injured, for one. Most wounds had already been tended to, Jayfeather and Leafpool being the legendary cats that they were.

And secondly, amidst all of the Dark Forest cats I had seen, there was a certain cat that hadn't been among them. And it had better stay that way until I'm able to slip out...

I then let out a sigh as I quickly padded over to the nursery – one of the many stops I was making in my circulation around the camp. But now is not the time to do that, I told myself, ignoring a certain tug of urgency that I'd been feeling as soon as I'd found out the Dark Forest cats were in the forest. I will be able to see... things through very soon, but I want to stand by my Clanmates for as long as I possibly can tonight.

I then crawled through the den's entrance... or rather, what was left of it. This plan is in no way a selfish action... but I'd sure be making it one if I didn't fight alongside my friends at all before making my escape, I thought. Soon, Lilypetal. Soon, but not now. He'll wait for you. You've made sure of that. "Hi, there!" I tried to purr cheerfully to Brightheart, who currently had her ginger and white tail wrapped around all five of ThunderClan's kits.

Brightheart returned the greeting, her blue eyes glowing with warmth. "Hi, Lilypetal," the she-cat meowed. She then let out a sigh. "Great StarClan, you're definitely a sight for sore eyes!"

I purred with amusement as I settled down in front of her, giving each kit a little nuzzle on the head with my tail. "Really? I'd think the wounds would be a bit unsettling," I joked, nodding to the large gash on my flank that had only just stopped bleeding. And after Brightheart and I shared another laugh, I flashed her a look of concern. "Is everything alright in here? Is there anything that I can do for you?"

Brightheart immediately shook her head. "We're okay as we can be, Lilypetal. Thank you," Brightheart breathed, her blue eyes revealing worry and wariness despite her words. She then returned a look of concern, giving me a nod. "Are you-"

"Wait!" I then couldn't help but purr with amusement as two tiny gray-and-white paws began to prod at Brightheart's flank, and Brightheart and I both shifted our gazes to see Lilykit looking eagerly up at the queen. "I need something! Can I ask Lilypetal about it?"

"That depends on what it is," the she-cat purred as she exchanged a humored glance with me. "Lilypetal?"

I shrugged back at Brightheart, taking a step forward and nodding to Lilykit. "Ask away, Lilykit!" I purred. "What's going on?"