Chapter 28

Goldenshine's POV

Come on, Goldenshine, I told myself as I loosely shook my head back and forth for the hundredth time. Great StarClan, you'd think it would be a bit easier for a cat to prevent themselves from collapsing to the ground out of exhaustion.

I then let out a huff of frustration as I turned to face Hazeltail and Mousewhisker once again, who I was currently training with, telling myself that I really needed to give them my full attention despite my grogginess that didn't seem as if it could wash away in even the harshest storm.

I knew very well that this was the worst possible time to be tired, and I had been trying my hardest to focus despite the lack of sleep I'd gotten last night. I'd estimate, or at least it felt like, I'd gotten just a few blinks of sleep at the most.

Whatever I'd gotten, it felt as if I hadn't slept at all, and it now left me to face another day of training with a dull head and eyelids that seemed to weigh double as much.

But I'd been much too preoccupied with my thoughts to even think about sleeping - thoughts of the Dark Forest's arrival, of Snowstorm's destiny, of Lilypetal and this plan that she insisted that she carry out on her own...

At the moment, it seemed impossible to live in a world with absolutely no worries. I really hoped that it wasn't showing, but mine were practically consuming me.

Another reason why I was trying to focus on the present moment. All of that wasn't to prevent me from paying attention and putting forth my best effort. But I will admit, the fact that Mousewhisker seemed bit restless as well made me feel a bit better.

I had been assigned to train with the two littermates just a bit before dusk, and it appeared as if I was about to practice a battle move with Hazeltail at her prompting, while Mousewhisker watched and gave tips if needed.

I let the gray-and-white she-cat leap at me first. And once she made her leap, forelegs outstretched, I was already ready to dodge my Clanmate's advances.

And just as I began to skid to my side, I was surprised to hear that Mousewhisker already seemed to be shouting something out to me. "Goldenshine, watch out!" he exclaimed, his voice urgent. "You're about to step on a-"

At that very moment, I felt one of my back paws meet something painfully pointy.

Mousewhisker sighed and slowly closed his eyes. "Thorn..." he finished.

It didn't take long for the pain to feel as if it was running throughout my entire back leg, and I couldn't suppress an uncomfortable hiss as I pulled it away from the spot. "What in the name of StarClan?" I growled, trying to look back at my punctured paw. "When did that get there?"

I looked up for just a brief moment to see Hazeltail padding up to me, her green eyes concerned, and a bit amused. "Well, it's been there," she murmured. I had to suppress another hiss as I realized she almost sounded condescending. "I thought you'd seen it already."

"No, I didn't," I muttered, rolling my eyes. Definitely could be explained by my lack of sleep, however...

I then finally forced myself to attempt to set my paw down, but it had barely touched the ground before I felt another unbearable shooting pain. "Geez, that hurts!" I meowed, my voice tight with agony.

I then noticed Mousewhisker quickly running up to sniff at my paw. "But it's barely touched the ground yet!" he pointed out worriedly. "Should you maybe go to Jayfeather?"

I managed to tense up even more hearing the medicine cat's name. "Jayfeather?" I muttered anxiously.

Mousewhisker's green eyes still glowed with concern, but it was clear that he was very amused by my question. "Yes, Goldenshine," he purred. "Our medicine cat?"