Chapter 21

"Oh yeah, them." I said in a low tune. If only Kate knew what mom and dad did to me when I went over to the house, I doubt she'll ever want to see mom and dad again. 

"Don't worry about it Winter, you're going to be fine okay, I mean look at you, I'm so happy for you. It had always been your dream college right? you're even doing better off now." Kate says rubbing my back as I manage to give a slight smile. 

Kate always knew how to bring my smiles back even when they somehow managed to go away. She was more like my superhero and she was always there when I needed her. 

"Thanks Kate." I say smiling more. I could see Josh giving an annoyed look already. I'm sure the next thing that was probably on his mind right now was to stand up from this place. I've noticed he always hates it when his parents bring up this matter. So annoying.  

"Jeez Winter, why are you thanking me? look at the people in front who you probably meant to thanking by now. They're the ones sponsoring you not me." Kate says as I look towards Kayla and Tristan and say thank you again. probably like the umpteenth time now. "there's no need for that any more Kate, Winter has already thanked us before." Kayla says smiling at Kate. With the look on her face, I could see she was very impressed with Kate's gestures. 

"You guys thanks for making My little's sister's dream come true."

"Oh, it's nothing dear. After all, she's going to be our daughter very soon, right dear?" Kayla said smiling at me but not making it look in an offensive way. I just shake my head in reply and give a fake smile.

I notice Kate's eyes on me. She could probably see the fake smile already. She always knew when I faked a smile which is kinda annoying cause I don't get to fake a smile at her when I want to. She'll always make me say the truth out.

I stand up and walk to my room leaving all of them. The breakfast was nice but the appetite wasn't just there and besides it was starting to get too long than the normal time breakfast should end. The truth is, I didn't just know how to fully react when Kayla said that. It was as if reminding me of the day I was going to die. And I mean like, who actually wants to die?.

I throw myself on my bed and close my eyes letting many thoughts run through my head all at once. I hear my door open and hear foot steps of someone walking in. It must be Kate. "Winter! Winter!" I hear her voice calling and then open my eyes. "Kate." 

"Why did you leave, I noticed your strange behavior during breakfast. Is everything alright Winter?" She says sitting on the bed. "Yes." I say as she shoots me that look. Oh, how I hate that look. That look that tells you she already knows you're lying. 

"Honestly Winter, you really want to go there?" She says raising a brow. "Just spill it okay, I'm here now. I'll make everything better." 

Yeah, exactly, that was Kate. She always did the best she could to make everything better and most of the times, she actually did make everything better.

I raised my head up to look at her before nodding.

"I just hate it when they remind me that I'm going to spend eternity with that asshole. And look at the way she said it. Like it was something completely normal."

"Chill Winter, everything takes a process. If you desperately don't want to get married to him, you won't. It's God who makes the best decisions okay?" Kate says making me feel better. I don't know how she does it but there's just something in her words that just bring that sudden comfort.

"Wait Winter when is the wedding?" 

"Honestly? did you just have to ruin the moment?" I say as Kate lets out a chuckle "I don't know when. Mum and Dad said I should come stay with him so I'll get to know him first before you know, we get married." 

"So you don't know when the wedding is?" "

"Yes." I say trying to get what Kate's planning. "Do you know what this means Winter?" 

"That I'm gonna get married to him whether I like it or not?" 

"No silly, you've actually got a choice. When you get to college, you can get rid of him and move on with how you want your life to be." She says as I take my time to process what she just said. It's actually a pretty amazing plan. "Oh my God Kate, you're a genius." I say hugging her so tight like I'm going to crush all the bones in her. 

"Just incase you feel scared to carry on with the plan, don't forget to call okay?" She says as I nod. "Thanks so much Kate, you're the best."

"I know." She says pulling out of the hug. 

That's one thing I like the most about Kate. She knows she's great, amazing and beautiful and she admits it and doesn't act archaic about it.

"How about Ashley, has she come by yet?" Kate says changing the subject. "No."

"Why?" 

"Because of him." I say referring to Josh. "Wait did he restrain her from coming here?" Kate says as the thought just struck me that Josh never said anything about my friends coming to see me. "No." I say calmly. "So you just assumed it?"

"Look Winter, you've got to start making decisions for yourself and stop making yourself feel like an hostage here."

"I'm an hostage here." I snap back. "No, you're making yourself an hostage here."

"Let me guess you can't go out either?" She says but I don't answer because I know that guess is right. "You know what, you're going out tomorrow to see Ash like it or not."

"Yeah you're right. Now that you're here we're gonna visit a lot of places." 

"No Winter, you're gonna visit a lot of places whether I'm here or not. The only place I'm going with you is our house tomorrow."

"What, just me, I-I ca..." 

"You can't, that's what you wanna say right?" Kate says cutting me off. "Winter, from the look of things, I think you wanna remain stuck with Josh in this mansion for the rest of your life." she says as I sigh.

Frankly, I know Kate's actually right but that's the problem, I'm scared. Even when I try to hide it and act brave, I know deep down within me I'm scared of him, of everything.

"You are going to find who you're actually destined for out there so why run away from it little sis?" She says as a tear drops from my eye. 

"I'm scared."