6 || Dump him

“He’s not coming,” Cathie muttered.

I looked up and she averted her gaze to the menu she already perused. I fisted my hands under the table. Maybe she was right. Gerard would not come. We were trying to fix this thing we got ourselves into. Though he didn’t show any interest when I mentioned this date, he didn’t show disinterest either.

Cathie waved a waiter to our table. She slid the menu to me. “Hana?”

“Just water,” I told the waiter who stopped by the table. Cathie rolled her eyes. Her disdain was obvious but I couldn’t let it bother me.

She ordered something more elegant, more foreign and a few minutes later the waiter arrived with some weird stuff. Cathie dived into her meal while I nursed my water. The restaurant was alive and very expensive but I wanted to impress Gerard so he could see where the money he gave me went. This was supposed to be my treat. An appreciation for making the efforts to meet me halfway.

I brought out my phone from my purse. No surprises there. No texts from him. No replies to the previous messages I sent. The sound of cutlery meeting plates filtered in and out of my ears. Cathie was saying something nice about the food, how much of an idiot Gerard was. I secretly wished for her to choke on the food so I never heard her complain again.

Guilt hit me as soon as that thought came. I dialled Gerard’s number and the phone rang uninterruptedly. I was losing my cool but I tried not to show it with Cathie watching me.

I honestly thought he had changed. I mean, we cuddled again after sex. It might not be a big deal to other people but it was to me. He never cuddled after sex, no aftercare either. I spent a few days in his house and except for the fiasco with Liz, he was the best daddy any giro could ask for. I had also been a good girl.

Me: Where are you?

No response.

Me: We are leaving.

No response.

Me: Are you okay? Just say something. Pick my calls, text me, anything. I will understand.

Cathie finished eating and my eyes were still glued to my phone. The messages had been delivered. She cleared her throat, and I took a sip from my glass to wet my parched throat.

“So,” she started, finger combing her hair. “Steven was talking to me about his friend.”

I ran a hand through my hair. My hair was back to its natural brown colour after Gerard mentioned in passing how he didn’t like the pink hair on me. A man walked in and my eyes followed him as he found a table. His physique reminded me of the man missing my calls. He pulled out a seat at the table three men were waiting for him. When he turned in my direction, I almost laughed at myself. He didn’t look anything like Gerard.

“Hana?” Cathie snapped her fingers in my face. I dragged my gaze back to her. She let out a sigh and shook her head. “You need to get your head out of your ass and move on from that dick. That fool is not good for you.”

I was beginning to think so too. Who wanted to be with the man your best friend hated? I played with the bracelet on my wrist. Gerard gave it to me the next day after our fight. I thought it meant something. It did to me.

“What were you saying?” I asked Cathie.

She hissed. “Steven’s friend needs a sugar baby. I wanted to recommend you to him.”

“Oh,” was all I could say.

“Yeah.” Cathie retrieved her phone from the Gucci handbag on our table, scrolling and talking at the same time. “He’s loaded and if he’s in Steven’s circle, then I guess he’s kind.” I swallowed the block that had formed in my throat. “Who needs loser Gerard when you can get a better, more attentive man, right?”