Author's Note

Hello, my name is Kirsten Kelley and I'm a young teen aspiring author who writes mostly LGBTQ literature.

Everybody this has been so fun to write and I thankeveryone for their purport. Ever since I was like eight years old I've wanted to be a writer, and since then I've written poems,song, short stories, and I've started books but never finished them, but so far in my writing career this has been my largest project

I've really loved to explore and relate myself to the characters while writing this, putting little traits of myself in Helen, Elizabeth, and even Christopher. With Christopher I tried to explain what war trauma is like without it being to triggering.

As I writer, as you go on in the writing process of a book you begin to get attached to the characters you've described as if they are real people in your life and not just your original characters. I am a very emotional person, so writing the feelings of Helen, Elizabeth, and Christopher, left me an emotional mess at time.

I hope your enjoyed watching Helen and Elizabeth's friendship grow into a tragic love story at least half as much as I did. I really wanted to capture what a lesbian relationship was like in the early 1900s because history tended to leave out the struggles of LGBTQ+ in the early years. I also felt the need to elaborate and discuss the pain and traumatic footprint of war because that Is something most of us know but don't really talk about. 

There is also an untold truth about the world wars and especially World War 1, it's that most gay love stories in the 1900s sparked between soldiers that fought together in war, and most affairs around that time happened in war camps. I tried to describe that through Christopher's story. 

Honey Suckle is a book about love, loss, acceptance, and friendship.