Part 8

As I walked home I heard a weary old man mumble "The war will not end until everyone is dead." My body shivered at the thought would the war ever end? It was beginning to get darker out so I sped up. A dark cloud formed over the horizon and It started to rain buckets, I rushed to get under the roof of the walk way that lead to the place I called home. My bandage was soaked in rain water, and it was cold against my forehead. The rain had soaked my clothes, and there wasn't a single part of my body that wasn't soaked. I was so cold.

When I finally made it inside of the house it felt quiet and empty. I rushed upstairs to my bedroom and changed out of my wet clothing. I looked out my bedroom window and found that it was raining even harder now. I lied down in my bed, and pulled the blankets over my head which I had wrapped in a new bandage. I thought of what Elizabeth had said earlier, and I wondered if she meant what she'd said. Did she really love me?

Getting to sleep was easier then it had ever been because the sound of the rain relaxed me, and as the rain calmed down I drifted off to sleep. I thought about what had happened and what Elizabeth might be feeling. I understood she was afraid, but I wasn't going to let that happen to us. 

When I went down stairs the next morning I realized that Elizabeth hadn't come home. The air outside was humid from all the rain, and the rain puddles were large like fishing ponds. The grass around the school house was moist and was quite unpleasant to walk on. The walkway leading to the door of the schoolhouse was extremely muddy, and made me regret wearing my nice skirt because it would be tiring to wash later.

Elizabeth had fallen asleep in my desk chair with her head smudged against my desk. Her long red hair was tangled and tied in a ribbon behind her back. The classroom was colder so I went to the closet, which was empty other then a few extra textbooks and my coat. I pulled out my coat and lied it over Elizabeth's back so she wouldn't be to cold. It was nearly three hours before the students came in school, so I made a note to Elizabeth that read

 'I went into town to go fetch the children more parchment. I'll bring some clothes to change into. -Helen'  

When I got back to the classroom Elizabeth was awake. I set the parchment down on the nearest desk and walked over to her. "Helen, I'm sorry" She told me.

I shook my head "You don't have to apologize for anything." I hugged her and planted a small kiss on her forehead. 

When we let go of each other I handed her the clothes I brought for her. She pulled off her dress, and took the one I had in my hand. The dress was a light shade of blue on and the collar it was trimmed with white lace. "How much longer do we have until the children get here?" She asked.

"Around an hour." I said. She wrapped her arms around my back, and pulled into kiss me, but I stopped her. "Not here." I told her, and gave her only a soft kiss on the lips. 

She nodded and started passing out textbooks to each of the students desks. "I can teach the children, you can go home and get some rest, and when I get home we can do what ever you'd like for us to do." I said, and rested against my desk. 

"Okay." She nodded and smiled.

Sorry if this chapter is boring😕😕