Part 15

I woke up very early one June morning and Christopher was still fast asleep on the sofa. Christopher always woke before sunset so I was surprised to find him still sleeping.

I slipped on my slippers and headed out the back door. The air was humid from all the rain, and the grass was damp and slimy under my feet. At the very end of our yard just a foot away from the fence was a bunch of yellow wildflowers growing together. I picked a few of the wildflowers to bring inside to Elizabeth, and when I went inside Christopher was sleeping with his head pushed up against the side of the sofa and he held his pillow in his arms.

Elizabeth was sleeping when I got up to her room. On her bed was the same newspaper from so many weeks ago. She had underlined certain words and I could tell she was thinking long in hard about what it said in this newspaper, but I didn't know what it was at the time. I picked up the newspaper and sat it on Elizabeth's side table. I laid on the her bed next to her and placed my head gently on her shoulder. I tried hard not the wake her, but she woke up just a few minutes later anyway.

"Morning my darling." She said when she noticed I was there with her.

"Good morning Love." I said and grabbed hold of her hand.

She moved in closer to me and wrapped her arm around my waste, and kissed me gently on the forehead. For awhile we just stayed there holding each other without a care in the world. The door was open, but it didn't matter because Christopher hardly ever came up the stairs. "Helen?" She said. She let go of me and sat up in bed. 

"Yeah?" I asked and sat up beside her. I handed her the wildflowers I'd picked moments before and she tucked one behind her ginger hair. 

"I love you." She said and turned and looked me straight into my eyes. Her eyes were a beautiful blue color that I adored, and mine were a dark grayish shade that I'd never been very fond of. She was so gorgeous, I was so-so Plain. I asked myself daily how I ended up with a woman like Elizabeth Taylor. After a while I described it had been luck.

"I love you too." I said. I kissed her once on her lips, and stroked my finger through her hair. 

She smiled and said, "Christopher will be up in just a moment we should probably head down stairs." She was right. We got up from bed and headed toward the door. We stopped right in front the open door and we shared the most passionate kiss. I held my hand hands on the sides of her face, and Elizabeth held me at the waste. It had been the greatest most passionate kiss we had ever had, and Christopher witnessed it all. 

When we let go of each other, we noticed Christopher standing at the top of the stairs. I thought that he would scream and yell, that he would run and tell the town what he had just witnessed, and get us in loads of trouble maybe even killed, but He didn't. He just stood there. Surprised

"Umm. Sorry. I'm S-sorry." He said awkwardly and proceeded to walk down the stairs leaving us both behind him. 

Elizabeth turned to me and gasped throwing a hand over her mouth in shook. I wasn't worried about the way he reacted and I wasn't worried that he might tell everyone. Because I didn't think he would tell people. If anything his response confused me. Why didn't lash out? Why didn't he shame us?

I didn't know or understand at the time.

But I would soon.