Part 10

The lake was far off in the woods, far of from all civilization. The when I stepped into the lake, the water was cold against my feet. Elizabeth was standing in the water moments before I was because I was easing myself into the water one body part at a time. Once I was down in the water I swam toward Elizabeth, and stopped beside her. The water was cold, and ended around my shoulders. 

"I wish we could tell people ." I said.

"Tell people what?" She asked, and looking around the woods admiring nature. The air was warm, the trees towered over us, and beautiful honeysuckle bushes lined the woods all around. 

Suddenly I remembered when I was very young, I was running through these woods just a little over ten years ago. I felt the wind in my hair, and my dress flew side to side as I danced through the woods. I was humming a tune that I couldn't remember now, but I always hoped to find out what it had been so I could remember every detail of that wonderful day. I stopped to take a breath, and noticed an odd little girl placing honeysuckles carefully into the lake, when she noticed I was there she grabbed a honeysuckle she hadn't put in the water, and handed it to me. "My name is Elizabeth Taylor." She said. "May I ask yours?"

I took the honeysuckle she held out to me and placed it in my hair. "It's Helen. Helen Carter." I said. The name 'Carter' stood out to her, because everyone Knew my father Arther Carter because he was the head of law enforcement at the time. The rest of that day we picked flowers and talked about what we wanted to be when we grew up, I said "I'd like to be a teacher so that I can teach young children how to read and write." 

She said she wanted to be a wife, and a mother. Now both of these dreams could never come true because Charles was gone and even Elizabeth was never able to have children. They'd as tried to conceive, but were never successful. It was hard to believe how long it had been since the day I met Elizabeth, I remembered it like it was yesterday. I was standing in the lake looking at Elizabeth "Tell people what?" She said again.

I held Elizabeth by her waste and brushed my lips against hers softly. "Tell people about us." I said, and let go of Elizabeth's waste. 

"Why do you want people to know?" She asked and held on to my hand. 

"Because your gorgeous, and I want people to know you're mine." I said, and used my other had to stoke her hair. I was just telling her what I knew. She was the most beautiful person I'd ever met. 

She was blushing uncontrollably, and smirking like a child on Christmas morning. "You're so beautiful. I wish people could know." She spoke, and kissed my hand. I didn't think I was beautiful, but hearing Elizabeth say that meant the world and beyond to me. 

After a few short moments we got out of the lake, and went to have our picnic lunch. I wrapped myself in a towel, and grabbed one of Elizabeth's homemade muffins out of the basket. I tore off small pieces of the muffin, and fed them to myself one by one. They tasted like they smelled, like heaven. 

After I had eaten the muffin and a delicious sandwich I left Elizabeth at the spot, and went walking in the woods. When I got back to the picnic spot Elizabeth had finished eating, and I had a honeysuckle in my hand, at I had picked. Elizabeth turned to me and I said, "My name is Helen. Helen Carter."

She knew almost instantly, and took the honeysuckle from my hand and placed it in her hair just as I had done.