Part 1

1915

When I awoke one sunny spring morning, the air smelt like freshly cut grass and honeysuckles. When I came down stairs I found Elizabeth seated at the kitchen table, her head in her hands. She was crying, and she was looking at his picture. I placed my head on her shoulder and hugged her from behind. "I know. I know. I miss him too." I said sincerely.

It had been nearly three months since Elizabeth's husband Charles was killed in The Great War in battle, fighting alongside brave soldiers like himself. We were playing cards in the kitchen when we received the news. "I still can't believe he's gone, Helen. It shouldn't be this way! He shouldn't have died!" She cried, and I reached out to wipe the tears from her checks, but she wouldn't let me.

"He died a hero's death, Elizabeth. He didn't die in vain." 

She nodded "but that doesn't make it right. He didn't deserve to die!" She left the table and the picture behind. She walked up the stairs to her room. I thought following behind her, but I knew she'd push me away like she did everyone else. Her wavy red hair fell just below her chest, she wore a white and baby blue dress that ended at the ankle. She was beautiful, but she didn't know it.

I went up stairs to read Hamlet by Shakespeare. I  constantly looked up from my book, and looked down the hall to Elizabeth's bedroom, and thought maybe I should go in there, but I didn't. Soon enough I fell fast asleep. 

Later that night I found her lying in the grass, staring up at the stars "He's looking down on you, and saying to himself 'What in God's name is my wife doing laying in the grass in the middle of the night?'" I teased, and she laughed. I loved her laugh. "What on earth are you doing?"

She was still looking at the sky, mesmerized by the light above. "I'm not quite sure I'm afraid." She said. "It's quite calming to me."

I went inside the house and came back with two knitted blankets I got from my late great Aunt Susie. I handed her the yellow one, and I took the gray one. Elizabeth wrapped herself in the blanket and lied back down on the lawn

I lied down in the grass next to her. The grass felt moist from the rain, but I wasn't wet enough to stick to our dresses. She pulled her hair over her shoulder and turned to face me. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. 

We fell asleep under the stars.