Part 17

We rarely talked about Vincent, but when we did we never told Christopher of the fact that it was possible that Vincent was dead. At the time I had no hope otherwise, I had wanted to believe that he might be alive but all the odds pointed otherwise. There were countless amounts of soldiers from our side that had been killed in the pass three months and he was probably one of them.

It was calming to know that our secret was safe with Christopher and that we were able to show love and affection towards each other freely in our own home because not being able to kiss her everyday was paining me. Around lunchtime, while I was eating a sandwich I remembered my mothers wedding dress. So many months before my mother finally gave to me the very same wedding dress in which she married my father who passed not long after my younger brother had been born.

Until that moment in time I hadn't realized that I hadn't even tried on the wedding dress to see that it fit me. I finished my lunch quickly and then hurried upstairs to do so. I pulled out the bag that held the dress and laid it gently on my bed. Elizabeth had been across the hall in her room, reading. I stepped into the beautiful pearl white fabric, and looked up at myself in the mirror. The puff sleeves were quite to lose for my skinny arms and it was a little bit to lose at the breasts. Other then that I didn't look ugly. I actually felt kinda pretty.

I took my hair out of my bun and brushed it out. Elizabeth was still across the hall reading, so I walked across the hall and posed on to the doorframe with the doorframe behind my back. I knocked on the door twice and she came to open it. 

"Darlinngg." She said after seeing me in the wedding dress. She was making a pouty face as she looked at me. "You look so beautiful." She said, and came closer to me. To kiss me she had to pulled me down slightly because it had always been hard for her to do so without her doing that. Every time she did that my stomach filled with butterflies and I got reminded of how she short she was compared to me. 

I held Elizabeth's hand and guided her out the door to the back yard. We laid down on the grass on a blanket that I believe my mother had made years ago. I was still wearing the dress and she was wearing a violet dress. We laid on our sides facing each other. I reached out to grab Elizabeth's hand and she took it. "If I could I would marry you right now and I'd get you to most beautiful diamond wedding ring you've ever seen." I wished horribly that I was able to marry her.

She was smiling. "I would marry you right now no matter what. Even if the ring was made out vines or parchment. I wouldn't even need a ring." She said.

I got up from the ground "Wait! I have something for you. I'll be right back." I said and began to walk back inside and upstairs to my room to get it for her. When I came outside I held it behind my back "Close your eyes. No peeking." I said. 

"Alright." She said and closed her eyes tightly. She held out her hands. I sat down beside her on the blanket and slipped the blue bird pin into her hand. "Open your eyes." I told her.

She did so and admired the bird. "Hellen! It's lovely." She said getting on her knees and wrapping her arms around my shoulders. "You didn't have to get me anything." She letting go of me. She was smiling at me and attaching the pin to her dress.

"I wanted to, and you deserve it."  I said. 

I laid down on the blanket and laid down with me, and I rested my head on her chest. I could feel her heart pounding in her chest. "Elizabeth?" I said.

"Hmm?" She asked.

"Do you still love him?" I asked. Because I wanted to know if love could live on even when they've passed, and you've moved on. I wanted to know because I hoped  a love like ours would last forever, but I wasn't quite sure.

I felt her nod. "Charles? Of course I still love him. I will always love him. I will always love you" She said. She moved me off of her and turned to face me. "In this like and the next." 

Then I kissed her.

If you all could please comment and vote that would help me a lot xxx