Part 23

A few days after Elizabeth left I went down to the church and prayed as I had done after she left. I bowed to my knees, and asked God to care of her and keep her safe, I also prayed that Christopher would find out what happened to Vincent soon.

Christopher had been asking the officers around town if they had information on Vincent DeRose, the brave French solider, but they hadn't. No one knew anything. He even sent letters to the commander that directed the soldiers that were fighting in the war, Christopher sent letters asking about Vincent, but her never got an answer. I knew Vincent was dead, but I prayed and prayed that he wasn't. 

That afternoon Christopher and I went to the town library because they had just gotten a shipment of Shakespeare and works from other famous poets. Christopher and I had always been rather found of poetry and books in general, but we'd already read ever book in the house several times. 

When we got to the library we started at the poetry section. We each had four books when we left the section, then we looked through the non-fiction section. I was glazing over the spines of the old library books and Christopher stood beside me reading. "I admire the way Shakespeare describes love. 'Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is wing'd cupid painted blind.'  He read.

I was trying to plan my lesson,  but I hadn't yet asked to mayor to unlock the school house for me to access my history books. Christopher was beside me rested up against the bookshelves. He was looking down at the book, when a women, with beautiful light brown skin, and brown eyes she was wearing a pink lace dress. "Hello Christopher." She said.

Her name was Mary Teasdale, and she had been rather welcoming to Christopher ever since he started living with us. I knew she fancied him. Mary was rather beautiful, but she wasn't the kind of beautiful, but she wasn't beautiful in the way that Elizabeth was. Mary was the adopted daughter of Mrs. Jessica the librarian, and Mary often help restock the shelves. "Hello Mary." Christopher said barely looking up from his book.

Mary walked over and stood by him. She ran her finger up his arm, suggestively. "What you reading Christopher?" She asked. "I like men who read." She announced.

Christopher nodded and looked up. "Okay Mary." He said. 

She stroked her other hand through his hair. "What do you want Mary?" He asked pulling away from her.

I stopped what I was doing to see where this was going, and to chine in case Mary couldn't take a hint. "I was wondering if you would ever ask me to dinner." She said. 

"You know Mary, I actually happen to already have a girlfriend." He said. I bit on to my lip to keep myself from laughing.

"Who?" She asked curiously. 

"E-Elizabeth Taylor." Christopher said.

"Really?" She asked. I didn't think she was believed his bluff.

I felt it was my turn to come in because Christopher was getting rather uncomfortable. "Yeah they started courting a few months ago. All over each other, I tell you. I think they might marry." I said, and Christopher began to blush.

Mary nodded. She seemed embarrassed. She walked away and joined her mother stocking shelves.