Part 4

The kissing went on for moments until I finally pulled away because my lips were swore. I stroked her hair, and pushed a strand of it behind her ear. I couldn't believe what she just done, and neither could she quite frankly. She stood still for a moment as she looked into my eyes, and then she turned away and walked up the stairs to her bedroom to gather her thoughts. My only thought had been wow.

I heard an extremely loud knock on the door, and opened it. It was my mother Jane, she always came with know warning even though I'd ask that she send a letter in advance. My mother was a very loud and ambitious woman. She struck everyone she spoke to like a storm. She scared everyone. Including me "Mother." I said holding the door open for her.

"You seem troubled, Helen. How are you feeling dear?" She asked, and shut the door behind. She had a large bag in her hand, and I prayed to God she wasn't planning on staying.

"Never better." I told her. I tried to form a smile to hide my embarrassment and insane awkwardness. I don't thank she believed me, but at least she didn't say anything.  She put the bag she was carrying on the couch "I brought you something, Hellen." She said and then zipped open the bag. When she pulled out what she'd been keeping in her bag I couldn't help but cry because I never thought I'd be the one she'd give it to. I always thought she'd give it to my brother's fiancé. 

"Is that your wedding dress?" I said with tears in my reaching to grab the dress. I held it up and admired the long laced skirt, the puff sleeves, and the gorgeous ribbon. "But...why me? I assumed you would gift it to Anna." I carefully laid the dress back in the bag and whipped the tears from my eyes.

She told me Anna had decided to wear her mother's dress. Ever since I was a young child I wished to have my mother's wedding dress. It was a nice thing to be given even if I won't be getting married. For me it wasn't what the beauty of the dress that made me want to have it, it was the fact that my mother cared enough about me to give it to me. I was honored to receive something that important even if I wasn't her first choice. 

When my mother finally left I went up stairs and knocked on Elizabeth's door, but to my surprise she wasn't there. All her clothes and all her personal items were still placed nicely in her bedroom, so it was obvious she hadn't ran off. I found her outside looking up at the stars, and laying in a lawn chair. When I realized she was out there I went back inside to fetch her some blankets. 

I sat down in the grass next to the lawn chair and I reached out and grabbed her hand which was cold and shaking. "Elizabeth, I" I said, and then she cut me off.

"I don't know what I want, and quite frankly I don't know if I will for a long time. I don't want God to hate me." She still looked up at the sky, but she didn't let go of my hand. I think she was afraid to look me in the eye, but I didn't want to look her in the eye either. I felt if she look at me I might break into a million tiny pieces.

"He doesn't hate us." I blurted out still not sure myself if this statement is false or not.

She shifted her face toward me, and looked at me. "You don't know that." She nodded and began to cry.

"I'll wait." I kissed her hand softly. "As long as it takes." I told her.

She nodded and wiped a tear from her cheek. "I just need a while to figure things all out. To figure myself out." 

I nodded, and moved closer to her warm body. I placed my head to her chest and she held me In her arms. "I'll wait." I announced again because I didn't think she believed me.

Through tears she said, "I know you will."