Part 6

After three days or so, I was out of the hospital, but I was taking it easy and resting at home. I didn't talk to anyone but Elizabeth much, but I did talk to our neighbors Matthew and James who had just turned eighteen, and were already planning to fight in the war. They didn't understand how dangerous it was. If it was me I would be doing everything in my power to stay away from the war. The war had just begun and thousands of soldiers were already died. After Mathew and James left my bed I prayed. I prayed for the soldiers to stay warm when the winter came and for the war to come to an end, but it won't end, not for many years.

When I first got hurt the mayors wife had taken over with the students, but she resigned not long after I went on bed rest. "The students are little monsters! They don't listen, and I can't take one more second of it!" She said when I asked her why she quit. Elizabeth took her place, and said she would until I felt better. I told her I was fine, and I already felt as if I was recovered, but she persuaded me to stay for just a few more days just to make sure.

I hadn't left the bed but a few times, and Elizabeth never let me get up by myself. I pulled myself up by the bed post and stood in front of the mirror, my hair was tied in a detangled bun and my head was wrapped in a bandage much like the one in the hospital, I was wearing a pink sleeping gown and undergarments. 

I lied back down in bed and pretended to sleep because I knew Elizabeth would be home soon. A few minutes later I heard the door to my bedroom open and a dozen pairs of feet step inside. I turned to my side to find half of my class standing by my bed "Hello, Miss Carter." My student Emily said and hugged my neck. The students hugged me one by one, and some left roses for me. When they left I turned to Elizabeth and said "It's just a concussion, its not like I'm dying."

She said at the foot of my bed "I know. They just wanted to see you." She said while adjusting the quilt to cover my feet. "They kept complaining you weren't there so I decided I'd bring them to visit." Elizabeth looked tired, but she looked happy I could tell she enjoyed working with the children. Her wavy red hair was tied up, a white shirt, and a bronze skirt.

Elizabeth helped me clean myself up, while my head was healing she insisted that I let her wash my hair. When she was done she wrapped my head in a new bandage, and brought me a nice blue dress that was loose and comfortable. Once the sun had set, and all the people were off the streets we went to the school house. The classroom was cleaner then it's ever been when I was teaching the students. 

I put a textbook on each of the students desks for tomorrow's lesson, and Elizabeth wrote the assignment on the chalkboard. She sat on my desk and I sat beside her. I put my arm around her and she moved closer to me, she touched her lips to mine. She ran her fingers through my hair and I ran my hands up her back. I moved in front of her, but kept kissing her. We kissed for many long moments when we heard a knock on the door and pulled away from each other quickly.