It's not about the money... Money... Money...

“Moe! I got the lead in our school production!!!” Julie exclaimed as she ran towards Elmo and hugged him tight. “Really? That’s great, baby. I’m so proud of you.” Elmo replied as he kissed her cheek. Julie didn’t let go of him. She held him tight. “You’re my inspiration, baby. You’re the reason why I’m always striving to do my best. You’re my everything.” Julie whispered in his ear. Elmo smiled and let go of her. “No. You are my inspiration. I would do anything for you. Kahit na ano.”

“Talaga?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Kiss mo nga ako.”

            “My pleasure.” Elmo laughed and gave Julie a kiss on the lips. “I love you, Moe.”

“I love you too, Julie.”

“I have to cut short our sweet moment, baby. Back to business. I need $300 kase.”

“For what?”

“For the play. It’s for my costumes, my make-up artist and-“

“Aren’t they supposed to be providing that for you?”

“They should be. Ewan ko nga kung bakit kailangan ko pang magcontribute.”

“Eh di ‘wag tayong magcontribute.”

“Elmo… Three hundred dollars lang naman eh.”

            “Three hundred lang naman!? That’s like twelve thousand pesos, Julie!” Elmo lashed out. Julie was frightened with his reaction. Her eyes became watery and before she knew it, a tear fell from her eye. She immediately wiped it away but Elmo saw it. “Ba’t ka ba nagagalit? And why did you have to shout at me? Is it because pera mo ‘yan? Elmo, babayaran naman kita eh. I’m listing down every expense that you spend on me.”

“Baby, I’m sorry. Hindi ko sinadya na sigawan ka. Hindi naman sa ganun…”

“Ba’t ka nga nagagalit?”

“Wala…”

“Is it the money? I’m sorry, Moe. Hindi ko naman ginusto na my parents would block my account. I didn’t ask for this, Elmo! I didn’t ask to have to rely on you. If it’s making you angry, umuwi nalang tayo. Pabigat lang naman pala ako sa’yo eh.”

“Julie, hindi ko sinabi ‘yan.”

“Hindi mo naman kailangan sabihin para ma gets ko eh. Naiintindihan kita. Pera mo yan, and you worked hard for it. It must pain you to have to spend it all on me. Don’t worry, I’ll pay you back.”

“Baby, ano ka ba!? It’s nothing like that. Sinasabi ko lang na we should spend our money wisely. Marami nga tayong pera pero we shouldn’t just waste it.”

“We’re not wasting it! Elmo, para sa school ‘yun! Alam mo, ‘wag na tayong mag-away… Wala naman mangyayari eh. Hindi na ako magcocontribute. Okay na?”

“Eto na.” Elmo said as he handed her the money.

“We had to fight just so that you’d give me the money? No, Elmo. I can’t accept this. Not after what we just talked about. I don’t want to say it. But it just bothers me. Three hundred dollars is a big amount of money, but Elmo, we used to spend that much on useless things. You used to spend more than that. Maybe you’ve grown wiser and you’ve learned to spend your money wisely but it’s not like we’re spending it on nonsense… And you know that I am going to pay you back. Ano ba yung problema?”

“Wala nga. Kunin mo na.” Elmo repeated but Julie pushed his hand away.

“Elmo, may tinatago ka eh. I know you. I know when you’re lying.”

“I am not lying, Julie.”

            “Ewan ko nga sa’yo.” Julie stomped to her room and closed the door behind her. Elmo stood still, thinking about what had just happened.