How REEL was that?

“Good Morning. I’m Elmo Magalona and this is Julie Anne San Jose, we would like to enroll.” A woman in a gray blazer with a matching gray skirt greeted them with a smile. They had courses in the Philippines, Julie was in Communication Arts while Elmo was in Hotel and Restaurant Management. But they weren’t able to continue them here. So instead, they decided to enroll in the Asheville School of Arts. “Please proceed through the door for the interview.”

“Thank you.”

            They walked towards the door and Elmo opened it. They both walked in and saw a man sitting behind a desk writing something down. When he noticed them, he motioned them to sit down.

“Good morning, sir. I’m Elmo-“

“Mr. Magalona and Ms. San Jose. It’s a pleasure. I am Mr. Walter Grayson”

“The pleasure’s all ours, sir.” Julie replied with a smile.

“What can I do for you?” Mr. Grayson asked them.

“We would like to enroll, sir.”

“I’m supposed to interview you, yes?”

“Yes.” They chorused.

“Very well. Ladies first?”

“Ask away.” Julie replied.

“What would you like to major in? And why?”

“I would like to major in music, sir. Well, I’ve always been music-oriented. Growing up, it seemed to my life. Without it, I probably wouldn’t be who I am right now.”

“Very well said, Miss San Jose. Mr. Magalona, what about you?”

“Well, sir, I would like to major in drama or maybe music as well.”

“Following your girlfriend?”

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

            “Well, she should be, she’s gorgeous.” Mr. Grayson said. Julie laughed and winked at Elmo. Elmo just smiled. “Maybe she should.” He replied. The interview continued for a good five minutes. When it was over, Mr. Grayson shook their hands and directed them to the auditorium for the auditions.

            They entered a huge hall filled with probably 750 seats. It was only half full though. They took their seat at the far back and waited for their names to be called out.

“Moe, ano ba yung kakantahin ko?”

“Ikaw? I mean, anything you sing will be good anyway.”

“Moe, naman eh… Hindi ka kaya tumutulong. This was a bad idea.”

“Sabi mo a few days ago ang talino ko dahil good idea to, ngayon bad idea na?”

“Kase naman! I haven’t been this nervous since… Ever!”

“Julie, you’re gonna be great. You’re an awesome singer. They need to hear that.”

            Julie sighed at his answer. “How could you be so calm?” She asked. “Easy. I remind myself that I have nothing to lose. It doesn’t matter how good or bad I do. What’s important is, I tried. And if it doesn’t work out here, I could always go back to high school.” He said the last part jokingly. Julie hit his arm and that’s when they hear Julie’s name. She scurried up the stage and whispered something to the operator. A sound resonates and she starts singing. Elmo couldn’t take his eyes off her. She was amazing. She was beautiful. She was his best friend and he couldn’t be more proud. When she finished the song, Elmo could see the judges nodding and they seemed satisfied with her performance. The other enrollees were also clapping their hands. Maybe she was in. Just then, they called Elmo.

“Mr. Magalona? What major?”

“Drama.”

“Very well, we will give you a scene and you ac it out. Supporting actors and actresses will also join in on your scene. Ready?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Your scene is, you just realized that you are in love with your best friend, Jodie, who is pregnant with another guy’s baby. You decide to tell her how you feel but she doesn’t want to be with you since she thinks it would be unfair to you. Ready? Lights, camera, action.”

            A woman went on stage with a fake baby bump and sat on a couch. Elmo looked to the audience once and saw Julie giving him a thumb’s up. He smiled at her and moved closer to the woman.

“Jodie?”

“Elmo… Hi.”

“I need to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“We’ve been best friends for a while right?”

“Yes, we have. Fourteen years.”

“Throughout those fourteen years, you’ve always been there for me. You never left my side.”

“Elmo, where are you going with this?”

“Jodie, I think I love you. No. I’m in love with you.”

“You can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Can’t you see I’m pregnant with someone else’s baby? I can’t let you take the stand for him.”

“But Jodie, can’t you see? I want to! You’ve been there for me since day one and I wanna be there for you until day 1000… day 1000000!”

“Elmo…”

“Please… Let me do this.”

“I love you, Elmo.”

“I love you too, Julie.”

           ----------

Heyyyy! It doesn't end there, guys. :) I'm still working on the next part of the story. I'll keep you all posted. I hope that you guys liked it so far. 'Til then. See you! btw, please? Be my fan? If it's cool with you. Love y'all