Habang buhay... Ikaw at Ako...

Elmo dropped Julie off at school and they kissed each other goodbye. He then drove to a nearby store to buy groceries so that he could pick her up again right after. When he entered, he got a cart and walked through the aisles, picking up everything that he found useful. Afterwards, he immediately went to the counter and paid for them.

“That’ll be $46.76.”

            Elmo gave the cashier his ATM card and asked her to just deduct it from his savings account. The cashier swiped it once and then again but a blinking red light kept appearing.

“Sir, your card isn’t working. Do you have another one?”

“Umm… No. But I’ll just pay it in cash.”

            Elmo handed her $50 and she gave him his change. Elmo carried the paper bags towards their car and put them in but before leaving, he ran towards an ATM Machine and tried withdrawing. But it says that his account has been blocked. He tried it a couple more times but it said the same thing over and over again. He went back to his car and drove to ANCSA. By the time he got there, Julie just exited the administration building and ran towards him and got in the car.

“Hi, Moe.” She greeted as she kissed his cheek. Elmo gave her a faint smile and turned on the engine.

“Moe, is something wrong?”

“No, nothing’s wrong. I just got a little tired. Umm… Baby, punta tayo muna sa Bart’s. Mag aaply ako ng trabaho dun.”

“Talaga? Hardworking naman ng baby ko. Okay.”

            They got to Bart’s Diner and Dottie greeted them. Julie told her the good news about being accepted into ANCSA. “So, it’s only gonna be Elmo who’s gonna be working with us?”

“Unfortunately, yes.” Julie replied.

“I’ll make sure he doesn’t look at any girls, love.” Dottie reassured Julie.

“He better not!” Julie threatened him with a closed fist. But Elmo was still quiet. “Moe, you okay?” She asked him as she placed her hand on his arm.

“Huh? Okay lang ako, baby. I’m just not feeling well siguro.”

“Gusto mo umuwi na tayo?”

            Elmo nodded. They said goodbye to Dottie and they left. When they got to their apartment, Elmo’s mood still hadn’t changed.

“Baby, kanina ka pa tahimik ah. Masama ba talaga yung pakiramdam mo?”

“Slight.”

“Kawawa naman ang baby ko. Hindi ka naman mainit, ano ba yung nararamdaman mo?”

“Baby, I’ll be alright. Maliligo lang ako at matutulog na. Nagugutom ka ba? Do you want me to make you dinner?”

“Hindi na… Ako na bahala doon. Eh ikaw? Nagugutom ka ba?”

“No, I’m not hungry.”

            Elmo kissed her forehead and went to the bathroom. He stayed in the shower for a while, thinking about what he was going to do. His bank account was blocked by his parents and he only has about $2000 dollars in his wallet. He didn’t want to tell Julie since he was supposed to be the one to take care of her. Luckily, he didn’t have to pay rent since he already paid for this month. But what about the bills? How about their groceries? The gas for their car? $2000 dollars wasn’t gonna cut it. He needed to earn money… So the next day, he reported to Bart’s Diner for his first day on the job.

“Good morning, Dottie.”

“Hey, Elmo. Ready for work?”

“I have to be.” Elmo said with a smile.