The turning point <3

They showed up at Bart’s Diner to apply for the jobs. They saw the lady that too their orders a couple of nights ago. They found out her name was Dottie. Dottie was funny and always kept them laughing throughout the job application.

“You go to school?”

“We applied at ANCSA but we haven’t been accepted yet.”

“Wow… ANCSA… The schedule there is tight. Are you sure that you’ll have enough time to work?”

“Umm… Probably.”

“You’re not sure, aren’t you honey?”

“Not really.” Julie muttered.

“Okay. What about this, when you get your letters from the school, you come to me for yur final decision. Okay?”

“Thanks, Dottie.” Elmo and Julie said as they exited the diner.

            The leaves were turning orange, they were falling from the trees. It was fall and Julie was in love with it. They walked to the park where the leaves were already on the ground forming this little orange pathway where Julie actually ran across. She started twirling around, letting the sun light hit her face, making her glow. Elmo stood a couple of feet away from her, just admiring how beautiful she was. Thinking that this is where he wanted to be forever. Looking at her smiling and looking amazing.

“Elmo! What are you standing around for!? Come join me!”

“Nah… I’m fine just looking at you.”

“Why? Am I that pretty?”

“You are. Baby, you are.”

            Julie stuck her tongue out at him and started running away from him. Elmo chased after her up a small hill. When he got to her, he grabbed her arm and they both fell. Luckily, they didn’t tumble down the hill. They were both laughing. After a while, Elmo stopped and stared at Julie. He looked deeply into her eyes and she returned his gaze. For the first time ever, they felt something much more than friendship. They felt the butterflies in there stomach, their palms were sweaty and their hearts were beating fast. This wasn’t normal, but they somehow liked the feeling.

“Moe?”

“Yes, Julie?”

“Could you get off me? I can’t breathe.”

“Oh. Yeah. Sorry.”

            Elmo rolled off of her. They were now both looking up at the sky. The sun had just set leaving that orange and pink color. Julie had so many thoughts in her mind now. School, work, work back in the Philippines, her family and now Elmo. The one thing that she thought would never be an issue. The one thing she thought would always be permanent. Her thoughts were then interrupted when Elmo’s hand took hold of her. He intertwined his fingers with hers and he moved closer.

“Elmo, ano ba ‘to?”

“Ha? Bakit? Ano ba?”

“Just a moment ago, it looked like you wanted to kiss me. Now you’re holding my hand. What’s next?”

“Baby, lagi naman tayo naghoholding hand ah. What’s wrong?”

“Moe, iba na eh. The way you act around me. The way you slipped my name into your skit during your audition. The way you looked at me a while ago while I was having fun with the autumn leaves. Elmo, is there something you need to tell me?”

“Truthfully? Oo. There is something I need to tell you… Julie, mahal kita. Mahal kita higit pa sa kaibigan. Higit pa sa best friend.”

            Julie pulled her hand away from his hold and she sat up. She curled her legs up and she wrapped her arms around them. She heard Elmo exhale deeply. Elmo also sat up and moved closer to her. He put his arm around her shoulder and leaned his head on her head.

“Julie, this would be a good time to say something.”

“Kelan pa?”

“Julie, is it really important?”

“Kelan, Elmo?”

“The summer of 2012. While we were filming the movie.”

“Ganun na katagal!? You’ve been hiding these secret feelings from me for over two years?”

“What was I supposed to say, Julie!? You and I were the best of friends. You weren’t allowed to have boyfriends! You were scared that the media give you all sorts of intrigues! You hated that! Julie, was I supposed to add to that? Was I supposed to be the reason why you were being followed by the press? Julie, I loved you enough to wait for the right time to tell you.”

“Do you think this is the right time? Elmo, umalis ako ng Pilipinas kasama ang best friend ko. Walang malisya yun. Pero ano? Babalik ako ng Pilipinas kasama ang boyfriend ko? Ano nalang ang iisipin ng mga tao?”

“Julie, I’m not saying that we should be boyfriend-girlfriend. I just think that you should know about how I feel.”

“Moe, alam mo naman na hindi pwede… Ikaw lang ang nag-iisang tao sa buhay ko aside from my family that I know would never change.”

“Baby… I’m never going to change.”

            Elmo hugged her and Julie did the same. Elmo knew that Julie wouldn’t agree to have a relationship with him just yet. But he was sure that he was going to keep holding on until she says yes.

            It was awkward around them. Julie was trying to avoid Elmo but since they were living together, that was a hard task.

 “When are you gonna stop ignoring me, baby?”

“’Wag mo akong tawagin baby. It sounds weird.”

“Julie… Ano ba? Ang tagal-tagal na kitang tinatawag “baby”.”

“Well, it doesn’t feel right anymore.”

“Because I told you that I love you?”

“Yup.”

“I think you love me too.”

“Talaga?”

“Julie, you do. You wouldn’t agree to be in Asheville with me if you didn’t.”

“I agreed with my best friend. Not with you!”

“Ako pa rin ‘to, Julie! It’s still me! Ako pa rin si Elmo! Ang best friend mo! It just so happened that I loved you even more than I should!”

“Then you shouldn’t have.”

“But I did. And how could I not? You’re beautiful, you’re smart, you’re nice, you’re talented… Funny, sweet, caring, loving, everything. You are everything that a guy could want. Everything that I could ever need. Julie… Baby Japs… Mahal na mahal talaga kita. You’ve been there for me. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you. I wouldn’t be who I am, if it weren’t for you. Mahal kita at alam ko na mahal mo rin ako.”

            Julie hugged him tight. He was right. She did love him. She was just not so sure about it.