Answer it.

Julie’s phone rang beside her as she sat at the foot of her bed. She glanced at it to see who was calling and a familiar name appeared.

                                                               “BABY MOE”

            When she saw his name, a tear fell from her eye, followed by another one and another one, until she was crying. She realized that she hadn’t changed his name on her phone yet. She was tempted to answer it, she wanted to pick up her phone, press ‘answer’, listen to Elmo’s voice and tell him that she’s forgiven him and that she misses him and that she loves him. But she couldn’t. Not because she was full of pride, but because she was filled with hurt. She couldn’t believe that he would hide it from her. Even if he just wanted to take care of her, it still wasn’t right for him to hide what was really happening.

            “Ba’t hindi mo sagutin?” Francheska said. She was leaning on the door post. Julie was surprised to see her, but nothing could make her happy, not even her best friend.

“Hindi naman importante yung call eh.”

“Hindi importante? Would you cry like that if the person calling you wasn’t important?” Francheska said as she walked over to where Julie was. She kneeled in front of her and wiped away her tears. “Julie, why can’t you answer his phone call?”

“Hindi ko siya kayang kausapin.”

“Bakit?”

“Ang sakit pa eh.”

“Julie… How is he going to take away the pain, if you won’t let him? Best, kausapin mo na.”

            Francheska stood up and walked out of her room to give her privacy. Julie slowly picked her phone up and saw that Elmo had called her four times already. Then it rang again. She placed her finger right above the button but found herself frozen. She took a deep breath and pressed the button. She placed the phone against her ear as she was able to mutter one word.

“Elmo?”