Chapter 32

Veronica nervously plays with her fingers. She stands in a parking lot of a jail. Archie is next to her with Everleigh in his arms. They are waiting for Veronica's dad, Hiram. They're not right in front of the jail because they don't want Everleigh to know where he was. Veronica always told him he works in a different country.
Her heart beats faster when she sees a man with raven hair and a bag in his hands walk towards them. She smiles. Even a few tears run down her cheeks.
"Dad" she whispers and slowly walks towards him "I missed you so much"

"I missed you too honey" he smiles. He takes her into his arms and holds her close. He kisses her head and runs his fingers up and down her back. "How can you get more beautiful with every time I see you?"

"Thanks dad" she giggles. She takes his hand and walks back to Archie. Dad this is my boyfriend Archie and the cute little girl in his arms in my daughter, Everleigh"

"She's gorgeous, mija. She looks so much like you"
He smiles at her but he knows Everleigh is shy at first. Veronica has told him a couple of times. So he looks to the man who's holding her.

"So you're dating my daughter"

"Yes Sir" Archie says. "I love your daughter and Everleigh with all my heart. I'm sorry I never had the chance to ask for your blessing but I hope you can accept me as her boyfriend. I swear I will never hurt them. I will protect them and give them anything they need"

"Veronica has told me a lot about you. You seem to be a great man and a great father to my granddaughter but if you hurt them, I'll kill you"

"Dad!" Veronica says loudly. He chuckles before he turns to her and smiles. "I'm kidding honey but I will protect you"

He turns to the little girl who's still in Archie's arms. He carefully strokes her little cheek and smiles. "Hi Everleigh, I'm your grandpa, your abuelo. Your mommy has told me so much about you. She told me how smart you are and how kind and lovingly. I can't believe you're four years old already. I remember when your mommy told me she was pregnant. She also told me you're a little shy at first. Don't worry, take your time. Just know I'm your abuelo. I love you and I will protect you"

Everleigh giggles. "Mommy was right. You are really nice"

Hiram smiles. He runs his fingers over her cheek again. "Your mommy is a smart woman"

"I know" Everleigh giggles "can we be friends? But not best friends. Daddy is my best friend" she says and taps her hand against Archie's chest.

"I'd love to be friends with you"

The little girl claps her hands. "Can you come home with us? I want to show you my room"

"I will come home with you and your mommy and dadddy. Mommy invited me for lunch"

Everleigh giggles. She reaches for Hiram's hand after Archie set her down. "Come, I show you were daddy's car is" the little girl pulls him towards the car. Hiram smiles widely. He already adores this little human being. She looks so much like Veronica when she was little. He still can't believe his little girl had a little girl.

Archie smirks and reaches for Veronica's hand. She intertwines their fingers and follows her father and daughter.

•••

Veronica smiles as she puts a piece of chicken into her mouth. Archie sits next to her, Hiram across from her and next to him Everleigh. She swings her legs back and forth. She constantly looks from Archie to Veronica to Hiram and then back to Archie. She's happy and really excited. She listens to the adults's conversation and pretends to have an opinion about all the topics. Usually she simply agrees with Veronica.

Archie places his hand in her thigh and squeezes it.
"Hiram do you want a glass of wine?" he asks.

"Sure, sounds good" Hiram nods "what about you Mija?"

"Oh no thank you. I don't want —"

"Mommy can't—!" Everleigh interrupts "Mommy can't because of the baby in her tummy" She says and taps her index finger against her own stomach.

"The what?" Hiram asks shocked. His eyes are wide and moves from Everleigh to his daughter and back.
The little girl gasps and covers her mouth. "Oh oh"

"You're pregnant mija?"

"I am" Veronica smiles. "I wanted to tell you another time. I thought getting out of ja— getting home from work, meeting my daughter and my boyfriend is enough excitement for one day but well, now you know that too"

Hiram gets up. He wraps his arms around her and kisses her cheek. "I'm so happy for you mija. My little girl turned into a wonderful, independent woman"

"And into a mommy!" Everleigh giggles.

"And into a mommy" Hiram laughs. He turns to Archie and places his finger on his chest. "You better be 100% serious with my daughter. If you hurt her or her children in any way I will make your life living hell"

"Dad!"

"No it's okay Ronnie. He wants to protect you. I understand that very well now. Don't worry Sir. I love your daughter, more than anything and Ev too. They're my family and I can't imagine a life without them anymore"

"Good" Hiram smiles and sits back down. Veronica leans closer her boyfriend and kisses his cheek. "I love you"

"I love you too honey"

"Uhm dad, there is one more thing" Veronica says "We will move to a small town, two hours away from here. It's called Riverdale. Archie is from there. After graduation he will take over his father's construction company. I think Riverdale is a better place for the kids to grow up"

"So I just got my daughter back and now she's leaving?"

"I'm sorry dad"

"No it's okay honey, you're probably right but you have to come visit as often as you can"

"Of course" Veronica smiles.

"I'll get the wine now" Archie says. He kisses Veronica's cheek and walks into the kitchen.

"He's a fine young man mija"

"Mhm he's great"

"Daddy is the bestest daddy in the world!" Everleigh squeals.

"Why is daddy the best?" Hiram asks. He smiles and looks at the little girl. He is genuinely interested and hopes to find out more about his daughter's boyfriend this way.

"Because he's funny and kind and he always plays with me and he gives me candy and he reads bedtime stories and he makes mommy sooo happy" she says and holds her arms up as high as she can.

"Wow, this happy?"

"Mhm" Everleigh mumbles and puts a spoon of mashed potatoes into her mouth.

"Sounds like you have a great Daddy"

"That's what I said abuelo" the girl mumbles.

"Oh she's got your attitude" Hiram laughs and turns back to his daughter.

"Yup, I gave birth to a mini me"