Chapter 12

It's 7 in the morning when Everleigh climbs into Veronica's bed. She crawls under the covers next to her mom and simply stares at her for a few minutes before she begins to carefully poke her cheek. "Mommy?" she whispers "mommy?"

Veronica shifts. She rubs her eyes before she looks to her daughter. "Morning sweetheart" she smiles.

"Morning mommy" Everleigh giggles.

Veronica pulls the little girl into her side and kisses her head. "Did you sleep well?"

"Mhm"

"Did you have fun yesterday?"

"Mhm" she mumbles again "Where is Archie?"

"He went home last night"

"Okay. Will he come back?"

"Do you want him to come back?"

Everleigh nods. "He's funny"

"He really is" Veronica smiles "if you want I can invite him to lunch"

The little girl gasps and sits up. "Yes please"

"Okay I will but later. Now mommy wants morning cuddles" she grins and opens her arms widely. Everleigh falls back into her arms. She rests her head on her chest and plays with her raven hair.

•••

Veronica sits on the couch in the living room and watches her daughter draw. She lies on the floor, in her left hand she holds a green pencil and in her right she rests her head.

"Mommy can you help me? I can't draw a butterfly"

"Sure" Veronica smiles and lies down next to her daughter. "What color?"

"Purple" Everleigh giggles.

Veronica begins to draw a bunch of little purple butterflies and some flowers before she lies the pencil back down on the floor. "What now?"

"Uhm I want an elephant please"

"An elephant?" Veronica giggles "I'm not an artist sweetheart. I don't think I can do that"

Right in that second the doorbell rings. She kisses her daughter's head and gets up. "I'll be right back love"

Instead of waiting Everleigh gets up too. She runs to her mom and grabs her hands.

"Who is that?"

"Let's see" Veronica smirks.

She opens the door and feels Everleigh hold on tighter to her hand once they see the red head in front of them.

"Hi Archie" Veronica grins.

"Hi Ronnie, thanks for inviting me"

"Ev wanted you to come"

Archie smirks. He looks down to Everleigh who stands next to her mom. She's not hiding from him anymore but she still holds on tight to Veronica's hand. He squats down to her.

"Hi Ev"

"Hello" she smiles.

"Look what I have today" Archie smirks. He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a chocolate bar.

The little girl squeals. She takes it out of his hands with the biggest smile on her face. "Thank you Archie"

"You're welcome"