Chapter 37

Archie sits on the couch in the living room and watches Everleigh play with her dolls Veronica is on a walk with his mom. It's the first time she left the house without him.

"Ev sweetheart, come here for a second"

"Mhm" the little girl mumbles. She slowly walks over to Archie and climbs on the couch. "Am I in trouble?"

"No honey" Archie chuckles "I just want to talk to you"

"Okay" she smiles and crawls in his lap.

"You know I love mommy right?"

"Mhm, you love mommy a lot!"

"Do you know when people get married or what married means?"

"Mhm, when a boy loves a girl very much he gives her a ring and then they love each other for ever and ever and they have little babies" Everleigh giggles. "They are best friends but they kiss"

"That was a very smart answer Ev" he smiles "what if the girl already has a baby from another boy? Can the new boy who loves her very much still marry her?"

Everleigh frowns "of course daddy"

"Good to know" He smiles "do you get where I'm going with this?"

"No" she says and shakes her head.

"I love your mommy very very very much and I want to be with her for ever and ever" he chuckles, quoting the little girl. "with mommy and you Ev. I want to cuddle with you two every morning and take you out to Pop's and do all things you and mommy dream of"

Everleigh stares at him. She still doesn't seem to understand. Archie chuckles and cups her cheeks. He looks into her eyes before he says: "I want to marry mommy"

Everleigh gasps. She places her hands on Archie's. Her eyes shine. "Really?"

"Yeah but only if you're okay with that. Do I have your blessing? your permission?"

"Yes" the girl giggles. "You can marry my mommy. Do you have a pretty ring?"

"I do"

"I wanna see" she squeals and claps her hands.

"I'll show you in a second honey but there is one more thing I need to tell you. Mommy and I have our anniversary tomorrow and I will go on a little vacation with her for two weeks. So you will stay with my mom and I already called auntie Betty and she promised so visit you"

"You go? I don't want you to go. I don't want to be alone"

"You won't be alone honey. My mom is with you and I promise mommy and I will call you every day"

"Mommy" Everleigh sniffs.

"It will be alright honey. You have to trust me"

"Okay" Everleigh mumbles. A few tears run down her cheeks. She buries her face in Archie's chest and holds on tight to his shirt.
His hands run up and down her back. "Oh and you can't tell mommy anything okay? It's a surprise"

"Okay I won't tell her"

"Great. Do you want to see the ring now?"

"Yeah"

•••

Veronica is finally home and Everleigh plays in her room. Archie grabs an envelope that he hid in his pillow case before he walks into the living room where is girlfriend is.

"Ohhh baby!" Archie sings with a big smile on his face.

"Mhm" she giggles.