Chapter 27

Archie's eyes slowly flutter open. His arm is wrapped around Veronica. Her back is pressed against his chest. She plays with his fingers. It makes him smile.
The sun shines in his face. There are some boxes in the bedroom. There are more in the living room. A few things are still in his apartment but he will get them soon and bring them here, into his new home.

"Morning Ronnie" he whispers as he squeezes her close to him.

"Good morning Archie" she smiles. Archie kisses the back of her head and begins to run his fingers up and down her side.

"Do you feel better or do you still have cramps?"

"No I'm good" she says even though it's not completely the truth. She's still cramping every now and then but it's not that bad anymore. It doesn't bother her. She doesn't want Archie to worry.

Quickly she thinks of something to say to change the subject.
"Archie do you know what I just realized?"

He shakes his head "tell me"

"We're dating for nine months now and I have never met your parents"

"Wait what? You've never met my mom?"

"No" she sighs "oh god I'm such a terrible girlfriend. They probably hate me. I'm dating their son and I've never talked to them"

"No, no, no, no Ronnie that's not true. You know I'm not from here. My mom lives in Riverdale. That's like two hours from here. So we need four to get there and come back. I've told her all about you and Ev and she can't wait to meet you at some point"

"Are you sure she doesn't hate me?"

"Very sure my love" he smiles and pulls her a little closer.

"Archie why are you always talking about your mom? What about your dad? Are they divorced?"

"I wish" Archie whispers. His eyes leave hers and he now stares at the wall behind her. "My dad— died when I was 17"

Veronica turns around abruptly. "What?" she whispers.

"Yeah he—he got hit by a car" he says. A few tears form in his eyes

"Oh my gosh Archie why did you never tell me?"

He shrugs. "I don't know. It's not because I don't trust you. I just don't really like talking about it and there never was the right moment to tell you"

"Does the right moment exist for something like this?" she asks and runs her thumb over his cheek.

"Probably not. Sorry for not telling you"

"No Archiekins, you don't have to be sorry. It's all good. Just know if you want to talk about it, I'm here okay?"

"Okay" he smiles. A tear rolls down his cheek but Veronica quickly wipes it away. He lies his head down in the crook of his neck and closes his eyes. Veronica plays with his hair and kisses his head softly a couple of times.

It's quiet for a few minutes until Archie has an idea.

"What if we go to my mom today, stay overnight and come back Sunday afternoon"

"Are you sure your mom is okay with that? I mean she doesn't even know me"

"See that's exactly why I think we should go. I have the coolest mom on this planet and she constantly asks me when she can finally meet you and Ev"

He places his hands on each side of her head and pushes himself up a little so he now looks down to her. "So? What do you say?"

"Sounds like a great plan Archie"