Unorthodox Method

"No, that's not the problem. It's just—"

Se Ri's statement was punctuated by a small wail of misery. She sighed, hoping her daughter would go back to sleep. Da Eun has been at it for the past two days.

"Sorry. The point is—"

There was another wail, followed by a miserable snuffle from the nursery. She excused herself and promised to call Manager Hong as soon as possible.

As she walked down the hallway, the little monster's wail got louder. Se Ri did wonder if her daughter might become an opera singer sometime in the future.

Large eyes framed with thick, wet lashes peaked up at her over chubby cheeks, rosy with distress. The baby's breath hitched and another cry was wet loose, little fists stretching into the air.

Se Ri picked her up, continuing walking down the hallway. One palm rubbed along the baby's back. "What's the matter, Butterflake? It's alright, Eomma is here."

The baby wailed even louder and Se Ri shushed softly. The CEO stared blankly at the kitchen for a few seconds then shook her head. She began the familiar movements to warm a bottle.

"Let's get you some food." The baby started to look around, noticing someone is missing from the house. "Aw, you looking for Appa? Appa isn't here. He's working today, Butterflake. He'll be back soon."

She bounced lightly from foot to foot as the bottle warmed up. The baby whimpered quietly, pressing a tiny nose into Se Ri's shirt.

There was a small sniffle from the general direction of her shoulder, and she eased the tiny body more securely onto her chest. She pressed her lips to the baby's head resting on her clavicle, breathing in the baby's smell.

Se Ri shifted to free her left hand again, pulling the bottle from the heat and testing the milk against her inner wrist. "Too hot for you, Butterflake." She murmured.

A loud cry punctuated her pronouncement, and Se Ri wanted to cry too. She bounced the baby from side to side. "It's too hot. Just wait a minute. Where is Appa? He can get you calm down in three seconds flat. He can do it with you and he can also do it to me. I think Appa's got a magic touch or something. Want some music? Let's play some music, shall we?"

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata began playing in the background, and Se Ri breathed a sigh of relief when the cries lessened slightly.

"That's better," she whispered into the baby's fine hair. "Not so bad now, is it?"

Se Ri set the bottle on the counter to adjust her grip on the baby, who let out a whine of distress as the bottle moved further away. "Calm down. You're getting fed."

The replying wail was louder and almost sharp. Se Ri huffed. "You're like a tiny drunk person. No one said this is what kids were like."

She lifted the bottle tip into the waiting, eager mouth and her lips kicked up in half a grin at the contented look on the little face.

"There you go," she murmured, setting the empty bottle on the countertop and shifting the baby to lean over her shoulder. "Don't puke down my shirt this time, baby."

She rubbed a warm palm soothingly over the little back, listening to the contented noise emerging from the child. Small fingers curled tightly into her shirt and she began to absently pace again, unaware of Jeong Hyeok's robed form lingering in the stairwell.

The baby let out a happy sigh and Se Ri waited for the big moment, relieved when her shirt remained clean.

Se Ri looked at the clock, "Your dad should be on his way home by now. Eomma has to go to the grocery—" She was shocked when she found her husband was already standing there.