Baby Time Part II

Pacing around the island in the kitchen, Se Ri waited for Jeong Hyeok as she breathed through contraction and watched the clock. Her mother in law followed her closely while rubbing her back every time she had another contraction.

When she was coming out of her third intense contraction, Jeong Hyeok came barrelling down the back staircase with a duffle bag slung over one shoulder, the diaper back over the other, and the car seat clenched in both hands in front of him. Sliding off the last step, he stumbled slightly, but regained his footing and stood straight as he stared at his wife.

"Time?" he asked

"Ten minutes." She sighed.

"Okay, good." He sounded so relieved and started to move again.

"Good?" she questioned him, sounding exhausted and irritated.

"Yes. That means we can go to the hospital soon. The doctor said to go when the contractions are 5 minutes apart right?"

She just nodded.

"Eomonnim, just take a seat. You must be tired." Se Ri said emphatically to her mother law, who have been up and about since that early morning.

Kim Yun Hui shook her head. "I am okay, Se Ri-ya. I am just concerned about you."

When Se Ri was about to say that she was fine another contraction took her nearly to her knees. She gripped the edge of the counter and tried to pay attention to Jeong Hyeok who was rambling from the garage.

"Se Ri-ya, breathe.." Kim Yun Hui tried to coach her while his son was preparing everything.

The pain was too great for her to focus on anything else. She wanted to scream so bad.

Still chattering, he re-entered the kitchen and saw her struggling.

He signaled his mother to take a rest, then moved behind her to massage her back. But she bucked her hips to push him away.

"Don't," she growled through her clenched teeth.

When the blood started to return on her fingers as she released her grip on the counter, she slowly righted herself and turned her head to look at him.

"Sorry." She whispered.

He shook his head and gave her a smile. "Don't be. Whatever you need." He assured her and waited for her to make the first move.

"I don't know what I need." She sighed heavily and started to waddle around the island again. "Did my mother already on the plane?" She asked.

"Last time I called she was on her way to Heathrow. I guess she is already on the plane by now."

"Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi, at this rate we'll be here all damn day!" she whined.

"I am so sorry, my love. You look so miserable; I wish I could take the pain away."

Shuffling into his embrace, she buried her face against his chest. He held her in her arms, kissed the top of her head, while his thumb rubbing her back.

"I am not miserable." She confessed. "just tired and nervous." She pressed her forehead further against his chest.

Offering her a smile. He brushed the hair off her forehead and deposited a kiss before wrapping his arms tighter around her. But they could only enjoy the feeling briefly before she was overcome with another contraction.

"Shit." She grumbled and let go of him to bring her hands to hook over his shoulders and bend forward. As the pain built and peaked in her belly, she pulled down on his shoulders, wanting to make himself shorter so she could sway her hips side to side more comfortably. Not sure of what she needed, he stood stone-still and waiting. Bailing up her fists, she raised them and brought them down hard on his shoulders as she cried out his name, trying to get him to crouch down more to her level. Being overwhelmed by the amount of pain she was in, he didn't quite understand what she needed.