8

~ Artemisia's POV ~

I traveled for two days. Before I left L'Manburg, I 'borrowed' someone's horse, which made the trip so much easier. I hope they don't mind. Once the sun rose on the third day, I hopped onto the horse again and continued on my path. My father had taken me to Eldons home once before. With my good sense of direction, I remembered the way to the house perfectly.

Eldon was an older gentleman who was a good friend of my fathers. When my father died, I contemplated on whether to bring my brothers and I to his house and stay with him. I ended up deciding against it as I trusted no one at the time, and I couldn't trust a man I only met once in my life.

I saw the large mountain side home in the distance. A cobblestone tower stood engraved into the mountain on the left side. The main portion of the house was slightly lifted off the ground just to the right of the tower.

I hopped off my stolen horse and tied the lead to a post just in front of the tower. I gave it a small pat on the head before heading up to the door at the base of the tower. I remembered my father once said that Eldon hated when people knocked. He always left his door unlocked for this reason. I pushed the door open slowly, the old spruce creaking the entire way. I carefully made my way up the winding stairs and into the main part of the building.

I walked through the open archway into the open floor plan. I looked around taking in my surroundings. Nothing has changed. At the back of the room, I saw Eldon with his back to me scribbling something down on a paper in front of him. A soft amber glow from the lantern next to him was all that illuminated the room.

"Hello, Temi." Eldon said as he put the pen down and turned towards me. "I expected you would be coming by soon." He stood up and made his way towards me. I took a slight step backwards not sure of what to expect. He continued past me and into the kitchen. I flipped around confused. He returned moments later with a steaming plate of fresh food and set it on the counter to my left side.

"Eat." He commanded. "You've been traveling for a long time I presume. You need to eat in order to be ready for training tomorrow."

I listened to him and pulled out a chair. "How did you know what I came here for?" I questioned as I sat down and picked up the fork. He sat down across from me and folded his hands on the table.

"I'm the same as you are. Your father came to me and told me you were on your way."

I set my fork down after taking a bite from the food in front of me. It was delicious. I waited a moment before I spoke. "If you have the same powers as me, why don't you just fight and take down that tyrant? You're obviously much more trained than me."

"You are the one who has to do it. Temi, you have a special kind of power that can kill Dream." Dream?

"Dream? Who's that?" I asked, confusion stretched across my face.

"It's the man who has been in your nightmares. The man who plans to destroy everything. He stays just outside of L'manburg in the town just to the west of it. He's king George's apprentice." He explained. I nodded my head slowly in understanding. I've never seen him before, yet he lives so close. "His land has control over L'manburg. What you don't know is that Wilbur wants independence from that surrounding town. This will spark the war that Dream takes over with chaos." I stood up from my seat.

"Then why am I here and not back at home convincing Wilbur to not declare independence!" I shouted and began to pace. "My boys are back there, I need to go back." I started to make my way to the door but Eldon's hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"No matter what you do, Dream will still attack. One way or another, he will attempt to kill everyone and destroy everything. You need to train and be prepared." His voice reminded me of my fathers. I looked to my feet before nodding. He knew more than I did. I sat back down and continued eating my food.

Once I finished I brought the plate to the sink and washed it off before Eldon took it from me and put it back where it belonged. I leaned back against the counter and rubbed my forehead, trying to get the ache away.

"You need to sleep. We have a long day tomorrow and you need to be well rested. Your room is down the hallway, second door on your right." It was all he said before heading off to continue whatever it is he was doing before I got here. I pushed myself off the counter and headed towards my room, eager to get some rest.

I laid back on the bed lost in my thoughts. I grabbed the two necklaces that lay on my chest. The two soft glowing lights reminded me that they were safe. I missed them dearly. I've never been away from them for so long. Not being there to protect them made me uneasy. I missed Techno and his warm embraces. I wish there were a way to know that he was safe too.

I tossed and turned in my sleep that night.

My fight with Dream seemed to never end. We battled back and forth, throwing each other across the streets of L'manburg. Fire flew from my hands as bright lights flew from his. "You'll never defeat me, Artemisia." His smirk made my rage grow as he held me against the ground with a knife to my throat. I kicked my legs up and pushed him off me, flinging him backwards by outstretching my hand.

I stood up and made my way over to him, ready to finish him off. I picked up my fathers sword on the way and held it firmly in my hand. Just as I was about to reach him, all my surroundings went black. The only light source were the two necklaces that lay firmly against my chest. It was just Dream and I. I flipped my head to the side confused.

I turned my attention back to Dream, ready to still finish him off. I lifted my sword above my head. I was about to plunge my sword down through his heart when the lights in the room began to flicker. The only light source were the necklaces. I glanced down to see them starting to dim. I dropped the sword just to the side of Dream and cried out just as the lights went out completely.

An evil chuckle emerged from the figure lying on the ground while tears poured from my eyes. I ripped the necklaces off and held them in my palm. They were gone.

"You can try to kill me, Artemisia, but it comes with a price."