15

It has been two hours since we arrived at the precinct, given a lunch room to wait in. I picked at the eggshell paint, peeling it into strips. I should stop, knowing I would be scolded if caught by officers or one of my brothers.

Noel said they found a human skull.

I was barely keeping myself together. The memory of my father beating me senseless I had kept locked away. I didn't want to remember, but I remembered the woods, being there, finding those bones and my sister's bracelet.

Climbing down the stairs carefully and calculated, not wanting the steps to creak and alert my father. I remembered catching a glimpse of myself in a frame, skin littered with black and deep blue bruises and fresh cuts. Dried blood caked my chin and lips, but I felt worse on the inside.

I felt gutted of hope, alone and afraid. As I reached the bottom step, the screams outside grew louder, paralyzing me with fear. Is that Micaela? My heart felt like it would burst, pounding in my chest. I had to know. Maybe I could help -

A loud crackle rang out, and there was no more screaming. Just a terrifying silence that threatened to swallow me whole.

My father killed someone that night, whether it was my sister or not. I stared out the window, the sky an orange glow. I had no idea if he would come inside and kill me too. Or maybe it would be a few days from then, but he had no use for me. And he knew he couldn't trust me. Killing me would be the only way to keep me silent.

So, I ran away from him, away from my brothers. I didn't know if I could trust Jaime and Cameron. They weren't saved from the wrath of our father, but I hadn't seen them in weeks. I had no idea where their loyalties stood. That night, I boarded a plane to New York, using all my savings.

"Maisie," Sebastian murmured, crouching down in front of me. He pulled my hands away from the wall, his touch gentle. "Talk to me, please." I looked up at him, chewing on my bottom lip. I knew now that I could trust them. Cameron took me in when he could have handed me over to our father. He cared, even if I thought he shouldn't.

I nodded. "Okay."

He squeezed my hand, glancing over his shoulder. "Why don't we go get snacks downstairs? No one has eaten, and I can hear Harley's stomach rumbling." I felt my lips twitch, appreciating his attempt to lighten the mood.

I stood up with him, glancing down at the floor. I couldn't look at my brothers, their faces ashen. It didn't matter what the police found in the woods. It brought up memories that hurt and a truth we needed to face.

We do without an explanation. I clung to him, his presence giving me a sense of safety. We passed dozens of detectives, some staring at me, their expressions unreadable. As we passed, one man nodded to Sebastian, and I knew my family had more connections within the department than I expected.

We walked silently to the vending machines on the main floor, though my mind was far from silent. Sebastian turned to face me, gesturing to the contents. "Get anything you want, okay?" He said, handing me a bunch of change.

"I'm not sure I can eat right now," I muttered, eyeing the options.

"I don't think I can stomach anything either," he said, touching my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Maisie. I'm sorry we didn't listen sooner." I glanced up, meeting his eyes.

"I know," I whispered, blinking away tears. "I'm sorry, this is all just too much."

Sebastian reached out and pulled me into him. "Don't be sorry, baby," he said, kissing my temple. He leaned back, brushing a strand of hair from my eyes. "I will never force you to talk, but don't bottle things up. You can trust me. You can trust Cameron."