3

"I'm going for a walk with Hazel," I said, clipping the purple leash to Hazel's collar. The familiar click of the clasp brought a small comfort, grounding me in the routine of it.

"Be back in twenty, dinner will be done," Sebastian called from the kitchen, his voice mingling with the sizzling of bacon. We were having breakfast for dinner, one of my favourite things, a simple pleasure amidst the chaos.

I stepped out into the cool evening air, the atmosphere immediately striking me as off. The streetlights flickered uncertainly, casting wavering, long shadows that seemed to shiver with each gust of wind. An unsettling quiet hung over the neighbourhood, broken only by the occasional rustle of leaves and the distant hum of traffic.

As Hazel and Harry trotted ahead, their nails clicking softly on the pavement, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. My skin prickled with a sense of foreboding, a primal instinct whispering that I was not alone. Every rustle, every shadow, seemed to hold a hidden threat.

I kept my pace brisk, trying to brush off the unease, but it clung to me like a second skin. Hazel barked at a passing car, her sudden noise jarring in the silence. I tugged her closer, my heart pounding louder in my chest.

Then I saw him—a hooded figure, barely visible, lurking at the edge of my vision. He was a silhouette against the dim streetlights, an ominous presence that seemed to absorb the light around him. Panic bubbled up inside me, my steps quickening as I urged the dogs to stay close. My breath came in shallow gasps, the cold air biting at my lungs.

With each hurried step, I glanced over my shoulder, hoping—praying—that he wasn't following. The figure remained distant, a shadow among shadows, yet his presence felt inescapable. My mind raced with possibilities, each more terrifying than the last.

What did he want? Why was he watching me?

The path ahead seemed to stretch endlessly, every corner and alleyway a potential hiding spot for the unknown figure. Hazel and Harry sensed my fear, their usually playful demeanor replaced with tense alertness. The once-familiar neighborhood now felt like a labyrinth of terror.

I finally turned a corner, my pace breaking into a near run. The streetlights flickered ominously, as if struggling against an unseen force. I glanced back one last time, and the figure was gone—swallowed by the darkness or perhaps never there at all. Relief washed over me in a sudden wave, but it was fleeting. The dread remained, a lingering echo of the night's eerie encounter, haunting my every step.

I reached the safety of our apartment, my hands trembling as I fumbled with the keys. The door creaked open, and the warm, familiar scent of cooking welcomed me, a stark contrast to the cold fear outside.

Cameron's voice greeted me, laced with concern. "What took so long? Sebastian said—"

"I know what he said," I snapped, hanging the leashes on the rack and ripping off my jacket. I noticed Cameron raise his eyebrows and glance at his husband out of the corner of my eye. I closed my eyes for a brief second, knowing I needed to compose myself. "Sorry, I'm just ..."

Sebastian leaned forward, his eyes narrowing. "Just what?"

"Nothing."

He gave me a look, frowning. "Maisie, that doesn't work with me. You know that. Try again."

I headed toward my room, the earlier relief replaced by a gnawing anxiety. I wasn't hungry anymore, but Cameron's voice stopped me in my tracks. "Maisie, where were you?"

"Out walking the dogs," I said, fighting the urge to roll my eyes. I paused, running a hand through my hair, glancing back at my brother. "I thought someone was following me."