57

"What?" Ashton said, gripping the steering wheel tighter, knuckles turning white. I whipped around in my seat again, fear settling in my stomach.

"What do you mean what? Someone is following and they ain't friendly-"

Out of nowhere we lurched forward. The truck rear ended us, making me fly sideways into the window. A hard crack against my skull, the window shattered. 

"Fucking bastard," I hissed.

"Call Cameron." Ashton swerved around a car, somehow managing to stay on the to

I fumbled for my phone, hands trembling. I dialled my brothers number. He picked up on the second ring. "Someone is following us. In a pickup truck."

"Shit," he muttered and yelled it to someone in the background. "Okay, here's what you need to do: go to Pinehaven Drive. We'll meet you there."

"Okay."

"Ashton, keep driving and whatever you do don't stop. Remember your training. Keep me on the call."

It felt like forever before we reached the road mh brother mentioned. I stared out the window, watching as two vehicles pulled up at the next intersection just as we passed. My brothers and Isobel, Harley, and Sebastian jumped out, guns drawn.

Dozens of shots rang out, aimed at the truck behind us. I watched in the mirror as the one bullet busted a tire, making the squeal and truck slide into the ditch.

Ashton pushed me back into the seat with one arm. "You're bleeding, Maisie," he said and I reached the door handle, opening it and getting out. "Maisie!"

I couldn't help it, my footsteps crunching on the gravel. My ears were ringing, heart pounding, feeling like it would burst from my chest at any moment. I stumbled a few steps forward, too focused on the others than the potholes in the road.

Cameron sprinted over, grabbing ahold of my shoulders. "Maisie, shit, you're bleeding."

I couldn't say anything, too focused on the scene behind him. Jaime, Harley, and Isobel circled the truck, guns drawn, ready to fire if attacked. Jaime busted the drivers window with the butt of his gun,  but I still couldn't see the driver.

"He's injured," Jaime yelled. "Milo, come check him out. Tell me if we can take him with us or if he's going to bleed out here."

Milo and Chance appeared from the other side of the truck. They reached the drivers side and Milo opened it with gloves hands.

"Maisie, I need you to focus on me," Cameron said and I nodded, but my gaze stayed with Milo and Jaime. I could tell from Jaime's stance that this wasn't an accident and whoever the driver was, was a threat to Ashton and I.

"He's too far gone," Milo announced. "Do what you have to do here. The cops are coming."

His words made a chill run down my spine.

Jaime stepped forward, aiming his gun at the driver. "Who sent you? Did Royce Monroe contact you or Giovanni Burke?" He waited for a response. In one swift movement he pistol whipped the driver. "Tell me or I'm gonna make your family suffer in their deaths."