46

Ashton leaned on the counter, arms crossed, a sour look on his face as he watched me with a glare. "You wanna explain why you snuck out last night without me?"

I groaned. "Ashton ... I've already heard it from Cam and Sebastian. Not you too."

"Too bad," he hissed, glaring. "You snuck out with me in the room and stole my car and you could have fucking died."

Evie groaned. "Ashton. Please, on the behalf of Maisie, shut up. You think she doesn't get it?" I smiled, picking at a hangnail on my index finger. I heard my brother huff but he kept quiet ... for like, five seconds.

"All I'm saying, next time take me. Don't leave me behind again," he muttered, shrugging his shoulders. His gaze locked with mine. Ashton had been clear about me sneaking out and he took it worse than Cameron. He acted as if I betrayed him somehow.

We talked for a while longer - nothing deep, just normal teenager shit. Evie talked about her classes next semester, both Ashton and her excited for their senior year to end. I zoned out a bit, watching over my brothers shoulder, seeing Jaime and Denver talk near the shed.

My oldest brother hadn't spoken much to me and I wondered if his silence meant he was disappointed or just didn't know what to say. Maybe a bit of both. Either way, how could I blame him? Not everyone knew how to handle a depressed, impulsive, pissed off at the world teenager. Is that what he considers me?

Or did he think I was fucked up? I am fucked up. I wouldn't deny it.

"Bet. Harley will be the first to complain about the drive," Ashton said, hoisting himself up onto the counter.

"What?" I asked.

"Correction: he'll be the first one to need the bathroom," Ashton said and I raised an eyebrow. Why are we discussing this?

"He has a weak bladder," Evie explained to me, laughing with Ashton. "Even on an hour drive he has to go at least twice."

"Stop gossiping about me!" Harley huffed, waving his arms, and I watched him shake his head before going back to typing on his laptop. Him, Isobel, and Evie arrived earlier this morning, packed and ready to hit the road. Except, with no one else ready to go, Jaime asked him to do some paperwork. I heard my brothers discussing this morning they had to cancel contracts they had lined up for the next month Titan.

The screen door sliding open caught my attention, my gaze traveling to my older brother as he entered. He pulled on a blue t-shirt over his bare chest, the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in after him.

"Maisie? Come downstairs with me," Cameron said, walking through the kitchen. He left no room for argument. He headed towards the hallway, towards the downstairs, gesturing for me to follow him. He waited for me, his expression soft. I glanced at Ashton and he shrugged. I followed my brother downstairs, wondering why he wanted to talk. When we reached the bottom, we headed into the den.

Sebastian lounged in one of the leather recliners.

I sighed. "What now?"

My brother took a seat on the couch, patting the cushion next to him. "Sebastian and I wanted to talk to you about some things," he murmured. "You're not in trouble."

Sebastian stood from the armchair, stepping towards us and pulled the coffee table closer and sat down. He leaned down and gave a small smile, resting his elbow on his knee. "We want you to be safe and in order to do that, we're going to set some rules." 

"We will be doing surprise checks, searching your room and bags," Cameron murmured. "If we find you with alcohol or any drugs again, we'll start doing half hour checks. No exceptions."