26

"Hazel ... knock it off," I mumbled, wrapping my blanket tighter around my head. She kept growling in her sleep, letting out a bark every now and then, her paws kicking. She gave one last boot to my back and calmed down. Exhausted, I closed my eyes, hoping for a few more hours of sleep.

Until Hazel growled, kicking again. I swore under my breath, knowing I would be going back to sleep anytime soon.

I crawled out of bed, exhausted, legs shaking and covered Hazel. Throwing on a burgundy pullover and tying my hair into a messy bun, I slinked into the hallway, the sun beating down from the skylights. I squinted, the light burning my eyes, and sauntered down the hall. The only person in the kitchen was Eden, sitting at the dining room table.

"Good morning, Eden," I said, reaching for a glass in the cupboard above the sink. She looked up from her laptop at the dining room table and smiled.

"More like good afternoon," she said, winking. "Can I make you something to eat?"

"No, I'll just have some toast after I take Hazel for a walk around the yard. Where is everyone?" I asked, opening the fridge, noticing the house was rather quiet.

"They were all irritating me, so I sent them outside. I think they relocated to the garage," she said, taking a sip of her coffee, annoyance clear in her tone. I smiled, taking a bottle of water and unscrewing the cap.

"What'd they do?"

"Nothing really, they're just annoying twerps."

I snorted. "I'm not going to disagree," I said and popped some bread in the toaster. "What are you working on?"

"A new website." I had forgotten she worked for a design company as a graphic designer. "Are you sure about breakfast?"

"I'm sure, Eden. Thank you."

I whistled for Hazel, shoving my sneakers on. She trotted out of my room and down the hall, tail wagging. I bent down, rubbing her ears. "Have a good walk," she called as we left the house.

Hazel and I walked down the driveway. "Hey, Mase."I turned around, seeing Ashton jog up behind me. He slowed down to my pace and smiled. "You finally woke up, huh?"

"I could've slept longer," I admitted and watched Hazel chase a butterfly.

My twin glanced down, his eyes flickering with worry. "Are you okay?" He asked, reaching up to touch my shoulder. I dreaded answering because I would lie. I didn't want to lie to Ashton.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm just ... tired," I mumbled, turning away from him and looking at Hazel.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"No. I don't think so," I said, picking my thumbnail. The next thing I knew, Ashton snatched my hand in his and away from my other hand.

"Stop that," he chastised."You made your nails bloody."

I pulled away, huffing. "I know, I can't help it."

"Noel and I will be playing video games and ordering takeout tonight. You're welcome to join us," my twin offered, bending down to pet Hazel as she trotted over.

"Is Evie coming?" I asked.

"No. She's going to the movies with Colin."

"Oh."

"Why?"

"I'm just wondering. I'm surprised she's even allowed to see him," I said. Harley almost beat Colin for bringing alcohol to their apartment, instead kicking him out, and Evie ended up being grounded.