19

We were lounging on the back deck at my oldest brother's house, a knowing tension between us. Jaime poked the fire with a stick, sparks spitting out. He chewed on his lip, locking eyes with me. "Do you know his name, what he wanted?"

I shook my head. "No ... and he would have taken me to Royce or -" I stopped, hesitating, looking down at my hands. "Or back to the fights."

Cameron and Isobel were on either side of me, Harley and Jaime in the chairs across from me. "We won't let them take you," my oldest brother said, his eyes fierce with determination.

Sebastian rubbed his hands together, picking up the iPad from the table. "The officers on the case determined the identity of the shooter," he said, showing me the screen. "Do you recognize the name?"

Raymond Vargas.

I racked my brain, but the name didn't sound familiar. "No, sorry. Though, I never had the time to properly get to know these people ... not that I ever wanted to."

Jaime rubbed his mouth. "Okay. Can you tell us anything else?"

I shook my head. "No, sorry."

Isobel stood. "I wanna kill these assholes."

"You can't kill them," I muttered. "It doesn't work like that."

"What do you mean?" Cameron asked.

"The fights are much bigger ... more interconnected than just one person."

Cameron huffed. "You mean it's like an organization?"

I nodded. "I guess," I said, hoisting myself out of the chair. "Look, I'd love to chitchat but it's been a long day, and I haven't used the bathroom in forever ... it feels like my bladder is about to burst."

On that awkward note, I headed inside, ignoring their comments. I sauntered into the kitchen, exhausted, hoping to grab a drink. What I found made me stop in my tracks.

Harley and Sebastian were leaning on the counter, chatting.

Sebastian was shirtless.

I gasped. "Sebastian, you're hurt."

His shoulder was covered in a blue and black bruise the size of a bowling ball. It looked painful and tender. I felt my heart constrict. He got hurt because of me, I thought.

"Hey, hey," he murmured, striding forward and tilting my chin up to look at him. He smiled, "I'm okay, it's just a bruise. It'll heal."

"What happened? You said you were ok."

"I landed hard on my shoulder, dodging bullets. Baby, I am okay, I promise."

Harley patted my shoulder. "He's tougher than he looks."

Sebastian stuck out his tongue at him and laughter bubbles from my lips. I caught another glimpse when he turned, wincing. "I'm sorry, Sebastian. This is my fault."

"Why do you think that, hmm?"

I stayed quiet, shrugging. "He tried to come after me," I said, "and you and Cameron were there. I told you it's not safe."

"You're right, and he came for you. But he didn't get you, and he won't."

I didn't believe him.

***

I stepped out of the shower and grabbed the towel to dry my hair. A cold shower is just what I needed. I pulled on a pair of running shorts and one of my brother's graphic tees, brushing the knots from my hair. I slinked down the hallway into the bedroom Eden had prepared, still quite shaken from the day's events.