27

"What?" I murmured, my voice low, whipping my head back to my oldest brother. "Is this a fucking joke?"

I hoped it was, but I knew my brothers weren't cruel.

Jaime closed his eyes. "No, it's not a joke."

"Well fucking explain," I shouted, twisting to glare at Cameron. "How is she fucking alive? Are you telling me she faked her own death?" I stared at Cameron, barely holding myself together.

"I'm sorry, baby," he whispered, eyes glistening. "It's true. Mom faked her suicide." His eyes locked with mine, sadness flickering through his eyes, and he tried to grab my wrist. I jerked away and stumbled, all three of my brothers reaching out to steady me.

"Sit down," Cameron ordered, standing and shoving me back into the seat. "We have to talk about this, Maisie."

I slouched, blinking rapidly to keep tears from flowing. "No, no, no," I said, running a hand through my hair. "You're lying. Why are you lying?"

"Please, just hear us out," Ashton said. "Mom met a man and had an affair. She faked her own death to save her life. Royce would have killed her."

"You mean like he killed Micaela? She made us believe she killed herself. She left us behind to be abused," I said. "Please, please, tell me it's not true."

"We didn't know how to tell you. I'm sorry-"

"How long have you known?" I asked, clenching my fists.

"One year," Jaime whispered, "She reached out. She asked for you and Ash-"

"So she's the reason you found me. Not because you wanted me, but because she did."

Cameron frowned. "No. No, that's not why we found you. We wanted - want - to keep you safe."

"Oh, shut up with that already," I laughed despite feeling my heart shattering as my brain processed the fact of my mom. My brother leaned forward. I didn't care about the hurt that crossed his face. They kept her living status hidden. Why didn't they say anything sooner?

Ashton tugged on my sleeve. "Come on, you can't be mad. You know why she did it."

I gave him a sharp look, feeling my lip tremble. "Don't you dare tell me what I can and cannot feel!" I turned to my older brothers. "Where is she now? Does she have ... does she have another family?"

Cameron licked his lip. "The man she married, Denver Reeves ... our stepfather, he offered to help get her out. They live in Pittsburgh with his son, Chance, you've met him a few times ... he's our stepbrother."

Wow. This got out of hand quickly, and we're not even off the ground yet.

"I thought we said we'd tell her slowly?" Ashton snapped. "All of this will make her mind explode."

You weren't enough.

You weren't enough.

You weren't enough.

The foul thoughts consumed me. I doubled over and pressed my head into my palms, suppressing the urge to scream. You weren't enough. You weren't enough. You weren't enough. The voices were a constant whisper as waves of unease rolled over me, setting me up for an inevitable loss of control. 

"What the fuck is wrong with you all? With her? Why didn't you tell me?" I hissed, eyes pooling with tears and swallowed the lump in my throat but couldn't ignore the physical ache in my chest. I wanted to hit something.

"Rosalie doesn't want anyone to know outside the family," Jaime said, swallowing, using our mother's first name. "No one will ever know the truth. Denver is head of his own crime family, and they're fiercely protective over her."