LDSK

Reid fired his gun at the paper target, frowning when he saw that he had missed the target.

"On SWAT, we broke shots down into 3 steps," Hotchner explained from behind Reid "One...front sight. Focus on the front sight, not on the target. 2...controlled trigger press. 3...follow through. After the shot, you come right back to the target. Now what did you do wrong?"

"I didn't follow through," Reid said glumly.

"Right. You came off the target to see where you hit,"

"Hotch, my firearms qualification is tomorrow morning. I barely passed my last one,"

Hotchner moved Reid aside "Front sight, trigger press..."

The bullet hit tthe target.

"Follow through." Hotchner said as he holstered his weapon "You do those 3 things, you'll hit your target every time,"

Reid fired again, this time hitting the target near the groin area.

"Did Elle teach you that?" Hotchner asked.

"They're gonna take away my gun." Reid sighed.

"Profilers aren't required to carry," Hotchner pointed out.

"Yeah? And yet you carry 2 of them,"

Hotchner took out his second gun and fired at the target, hitting dead center. "When I joined the BAU, Gideon said to me, You don't have to carry a gun to kill someone,"

"I don't get it,"

"You will. Good luck tomorrow,"

***

Samarra hurried over to Gideon as he exited his office "Reid failed his qualification,"

"He can re-test in 2 weeks," Gideon pointed out.

"Yeah, but he's gonna be embarrassed about it." Samarra glared over at Morgan as she and Gideon walked by "So let's not mention it,"

"Yeah," Gideon agreed "Let's not, huh?"

"Not a word," Morgan said. He watched as Reid entered the bullpen and walked over to his desk. "Hey. We're all here for you. I'm serious. If you ever need anything..." Morgan placed a whistle around Reid's neck and blew the whistle. "Just blow on that."

"Leave it, Sam," Reid told the girl as she stood up and tossed the whistle away.

Samarra was grateful when JJ entered the bullpen.

"Ok, Franklin Park, Des Plaines, yesterday afternoon. 3 victims shot at distance. It's the third such shooting in 2 weeks." JJ explained as she handed out the manila folders.

"A sniper?" Elle asked.

"We don't use that word," Morgan said.

"Why not?"

"The public perception is that the FBI doesn't have an exemplary record with snipers," JJ said.

"Besides, a sniper is a professional marksman. These guys aren't snipers,"

"What do we call 'em then?" Elle wondered.

"LDSK," Hotchner replied.

"Long Distance Serial Killers." Reid simplified.

"How many of these guys have we caught using a profile?" Elle asked.

"None." Gideon admitted.