The Broken Mirror [5]

"We can't let Cheryl speak with him any further," Gideon said, breaking the intense silence that filled the room.

"Why not?" Cheryl demanded.

"It's only feeding his psychosis." Reid explained "To allow your interaction. Was Trish involved in any serious relationships prior to the kidnapping?"

"With the boy that was killed." Evan replied "They were together for two years,"

"Trish didn't want me to tell you. They were getting engaged,"

Gideon let out a stress-filled sighed "Well, that certainly could have been the unsub's stressor,"

Reid nodded in agreement.

"What does that mean?" Evan asked. "Will someone please tell me what we're dealing with here?"

"De Clerambault's Syndrome," Reid said "Otherwise known as Erotomania, the belief that someone, usually of higher social status but not necessarily a celebrity, is in love with you. Erotomanics believe that the objects of their affection are subtly professing their love for them through looks, gestures..."

"Glances." Gideon interrupted "He said 'you asked me with your glances',"

"The unsub truly and full-heartedly believes that Cheryl and Trish are in love with him. They don't tell him this with their voices. No, with gestures and looks. He's obsessed with them,"

"What does that mean?" Evan questioned.

"He is the most determined kind of criminal," Gideon admitted.

***

"Crime of obsession. Your specialty, your lead, Morgan," Hotchner said as the team stood in the kitchen.

"I think we should recheck everyone on Davenport's staff against the profile of a stalker," Morgan claimed.

"Aren't stalking behaviors pretty diverse?" Elle questioned.

"There's overlap. Narcissistic, inflated sense of self-worth, history of bad relationships,"

"What do we know so far?" Hotchner asked.

"He's probably white, obviously male..." Morgan listed. "Sophisticated speech pattern,"

"Sophisticated, yet bizarre," Gideon explained "He rarely uses contractions. It's not 'You're', it's 'you are',"

"This guy's pretentious. He wants to sound smarter than he actually is." Morgan shrugged "Whatever position of authority or level of success this guy has, he had to struggle for it,"

"We also have to face the possibility at this point..." Hotchner began.

"That Trish may already be dead," Samarra finished.

"You know, so far he's called every play. I say we apply some pressure, make him sweat," Morgan said.

"Well, there's only one way to do that," Gideon claimed.

***

Everyone in the room remained silent and unmoving when the phone rang.

Davenport moved to pick up the phone.

"Hold on, hold on, hold on," Gideon told him before picking up the phone and then hanging up.

"What are you doing?" Davenport asked.

The telephone rang again.

"Agent Gideon..."

Gideon answered the phone "Hello?"

"Tell me there was a technical issue with the line," the unsub said, "because if you actually hung up on m..."