Broken Mirror [3]

"What's he doing?" Evan questioned.

"What most of the offenders we catch try to do..." Morgan said as he took a seat "establish dominance,"

"How long can we keep him on hold?" Elle asked.

"We can't put her on," Hotchner said.

"Why not?" Cheryl argued "I want to help. I'll talk to him,"

"Cheryl doesn't have the authority that Davenport holds," Morgan noted. "He shouldn't want to talk to her,"

"I think that she should speak to him," Samarra spoke up.

"Do I need to repeat myself?" The unsub asked, reminding the people in the room that he was still on the line despite his inability to hear their current conversation. "I want to talk to Cheryl. Put her on the phone. Now,"

"No," Gideon told Sam.

"I think she should speak to him," Samarra repeated. "He wants to talk to her. The more he speaks, the more he reveals,"

"She is right, Gideon," Morgan agreed.

"He has my sister," Cheryl reminded.

"No," Gideon negated.

"I'm waiting." The Unsub said.

"Elle," Gideon called over.

Sam sighed in defeat but put her headphones back on, Morgan placed a reassuring hand on her back, letting her know he's on her side.

"Ok," Elle sighed as she pressed the unmute button "This is Cheryl,"

The Unsub sighed causing Samarra to shake her head, this wasn't going to work.

"Hello. This is Cheryl,"

"I have Patricia by my side." The Unsub said "I know her voice, therefore I know her sister's. Get off the phone. I want Cheryl. I'll give you 60 seconds...if you don't put her on the phone, I will hang up and you will never hear from me or Patricia again,"

Gideon pressed the mute button and looked over at Elle "Prep her." he stood up and waved over Cheryl "Come on over here, please,"

"50 seconds," The unsub counted down.

"This guy's arrogant," Sam noted.

"Let him know that he's in control." Elle told Cheryl "Let him guide the conversation,"

"40," The unsub said.

"Use your sister's name. Say my sister Trish or her name's Patricia,"

"35 seconds,"

"Ok," Cheryl nodded.

"Talk about her," Elle continued. "Let him get to know her through you. Don't veer off-topic,"

"Got it,"

"Agree with him,"

"25 seconds," The Unsub said.

"Tell him that you understand him, and as hard as this sounds, empathize,"

"20 seconds,"

"Let him know that he didn't mean to hurt Trish or go this far and that he can fix it,"

"Ok," Elle breathed.

"He has a chance to show that he's a kind and forgiving person by letting your sister go,"

"10 seconds," The Unsub said causing Samarra to ball up her fists out of anxiety.

"And if you don't know what to say, I'll tell you," Elle assured.