Chapter 40

"Come sit with me, lass."

Baby Theo had been fed, burped, and changed, and was mercifully sleeping in the pram that Bobby had cautiously carried up to the roof terrace with us. It had been an exhausting morning so far, and after a lack of sleep the night before, we both needed a break from the other couples and their crying kids, so we sneaked up to the terrace for some alone time.

Bobby sat down in the corner between the two benches, leaning his back against the wall, and tapped his hand on his thigh.

"You want me to sit on your lap?" I smirked as I pushed the pram and lined it up next to the bench.

"Nah, just sit, like... here," he stretched one of his legs out along the bench and indicated the space between them.

I walked over to him and sat in front of him, leaning back so my back was against his chest and stretching my legs out on the bench in front of me.

"Here?" I asked, twisting my neck to look up at him.

"Perfect," he smiled. He wrapped his arms around my waist as I snuggled against him. "It's nice to get a little peace and quiet."

"Sort of."

We could still hear the sounds of wailing babies, but it was easier to shut them out.

"Today hasn't been too bad for you, has it?"

I sighed. "If anything, it's confirmed that I'm not ready for kids anytime soon."

"That's fine," he said, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. "Everyone moves at their own pace."

"Would it be a deal-breaker for you? If someone didn't want kids?"

He was silent for a moment before responding. "I don't know. I guess it depends on the person and where we are in the relationship. I love kids, but could I love someone enough that it wouldn't matter to me whether we had kids or not? Probably."

"Would you resent them, though?"

He exhaled, the air whistling through his teeth. "I hope not. That wouldn't be fair."

"Right."

"What about you? I know you're kind of iffy on the whole idea."

"If I were with someone who didn't want them, I think that would be a relief. I would just go with what they wanted and be okay with it."

"And if they wanted kids?" he asked, gently running the backs of his fingers along my arm.

"There are a lot of factors that go into it."

"Like?"

I thought for a moment. "Job stability. Parenting roles. How strong you are as a couple. It's just gotta be the right person, you know? There are some people I just couldn't see myself having kids with. Other people who would make me more likely to agree."

"And which one am I?" he asked, a smile in his voice.

Honestly? Probably the latter.

I didn't say what I was thinking, choosing instead to play coy. "We'll just have to see how things go, won't we?"

He chuckled softly and began sliding his hands gently up and down my sides, his fingers hot against my skin. I relaxed in his arms, resting my head on his chest and closing my eyes. Breathing in deeply, I let his scent envelop me as Bobby laid kisses along my cheek and jaw; I tilted my head to the side, allowing him access to my neck.

"I'm sorry we couldn't take that shower together this morning," he whispered, his breath against my neck causing a shiver to go through me.

I lifted my hand to the back of his neck and pulled him towards my lips, his arms snaking around me once more as our mouths met in a gentle, yet meaningful kiss that told more than either of us could use words to say.