Chapter 31.) What it is? What it ain't?

"Ava!"

Ava inwardly groaned as she headed for the stairs. She's been avoiding Michelle all morning but the girl was persistent. They've been in school all but four hours and Michelle managed to ruin her day just by breathing.

Why she still breathing? Ava's inner voice wondered as she walked up the stairs, trying to avoid bumping shoulders with the other students.

"Ava?!"

"Lord," Ava mumbled as she heard Michelle's footsteps draw in closer.

She thought about running. Hell, she thought about power walking but what would that do? Michelle ran track in middle school, how ironic.

"Girl—" Ava had to catch herself when Michelle grabbed her arm.

"Why are you ignoring me?" Michelle asked, standing in front of her.

Ava glared at her. "Why didn't you tell me your dad was a cop?"

"Detective," Michelle corrected and Ava's brows knitted together the same way King's did.

"Girl," Ava chuckled condescendingly.

"I didn't tell you because every time someone found out they stopped being my friend... like you're doing."

Ava rolled her eyes.

Her father was a cop! There was no telling what he had on King and the family. Ava did not want to chance it but damn... Michelle was a good friend.

"You should've told me," she began walking and Michelle followed.

"For what? What's the big deal? It's not like he's white," Michelle frowned and Ava stared at her crazily.

Was she serious?

"So because he's a black detective that make him better? Wow, never knew," Ava looked her up and down then carried on her way.

Michelle stood in the hall for a moment then huffed before chasing after her. "Look... I'm sorry ok? My dad isn't bad... but that's my dad, I'm me... Ava," she stood in front of Ava and stared at her with sad eyes. "Other than Kayla, you're my only friend... please don't be like everyone else."

Ava wanted to keep her stone-cold expression. She wanted to hate this girl for being the daughter of a detective. She wanted to curse her out for keeping this a secret. But what would it do?

Sighing, Ava stared at her then rolled her eyes in annoyance when Michelle's eyes watered. "Fine..."

Michelle was confused. Were they cool again?

"I'm telling you now," Ava pointed at her and squinted. It was almost funny to her how all of the kids inherited that from King and also funny at how it rubbed off on Renae.

Ava had to laugh at that before getting serious again. "If something starts happening to my Daddy, I'ma beat you up."

Michelle pouted.

Beat her up? Since when was Ava a fighter? Why would she beat her up? Why would anything start happening to her father? What the hell was Ava talking about?

"Beat me up?" Michelle reiterated and Ava just stared at her.

"Trust me," Ava gave her a look. "I'll definitely take it there, especially for my Daddy," she proceeded to walk.

"Why are we talking about fighting?" Michelle followed her.

"Who we fighting?" Kayla asked from behind.

"Well," Michelle looked at Ava. "Ava said she'll beat me up."

Kayla snickered.

"She definitely would," Kayla snickered some more.