Chapter 2

Gleam's POV

I walk to the reaping in my puffy yellow dress and I see everyone in district 1 there. District 1 has always had many victors, and it's considered an honor to be in the hunger games. I've always been afraid of the games personally, but I always watched them on TV, just to gain some useful tips just in case I do. But I'm 15 and I don't have anything to worry about, right? I'm definitely not planning on volunteering, unlike most people in district 1. So they call me up and the many victors from district 1 come up, all with smug looks on their faces.

Of course, only two can mentor, and usually it's the two youngest ones that get called up by the capitol. But I get distracted when the escort, Olga, a very old looking lady who tries to wear a lot of makeup, but the people in district 1 still make fun of her because it only makes her look more funny, walks over to the big glass ball filled with names. She picks one and she says with ease, "Gleam Porsche." I realize that's my name, but don't move, waiting for a volunteer. After about a minute of waiting, because I'm sure everyone else was as well, no volunteer. And I suddenly realize what just happened. There's no volunteer, I'm in the games...