Chapter 16

Jo's POV

Sounds... so many sounds. I hear the birds chirping, the wind blowing, it's enough to make me go insane with all the peace and quiet after my allies' deaths. Spark... Colt... and Kernel... They were the only friends I had. Now, I have to win, for them. I'm pulled back to reality when there is a huge voice of an announcer.

"Hello remaining tributes. Tomorrow, there will be a feast. There will be weapons, supplies, food, and water. Please come, for it is... tomorrow morning." Day 4. I suddenly hear a canon. I look around to see who and where it is, then a body hits me. I hear heavy breathing right on top of me, I see it's a girl. I throw her off me, and grab my knife.

"Run, careers. Garner..." she said slowly, "is dead." I stumble back, thinking of Kernel's district partner, I remember he is tall, strong, and hard to kill.

"You kill him?" I glare at her, and she too stumbles back,

"No." she says, almost calmly. I hear cheering in the distance, and I look at her leg, she has a huge gash on it, and it's fresh too.

"Who gave you that?" I point at it, and she points at the woods behind her,

"Them." I hear the cheering again, but closer now.

I grab my stuff and put out my fire, I look back at the girl, and she starts hobbling as fast as she can. I roll my eyes, "Cmon." I grab her hand and sprint up the mountain. I know that they'll be looking for her on this mountain, so after about 30 minutes of running, the girl collapsed.

"I... can't... run... anymore." I settle down and all I see is snow.

"So, did you hear the announcement?" I ask,

"Obviously, there's almost no way to miss it." She answers, and I nod.

"Also, the name's Techna. Do you know Gleam? She's my ally." I nod, I have no idea who these people are, besides tributes like me.

"I'm Jo." She nods, because I know that we don't want to work together, but what am I supposed to do? I just helped this girl, and I have no medical supplies or anything! "I'm gonna make a fire, you could use leaves from that tree to wash the blood and bandage it up in some way." I can see she's quiet, because all she does is nod and do as I say. "So, do you have any weapons, are you good at any weapons?" I ask, hoping for something she's good at.

"Bombs, rewiring, I guess the normal district 3 things. If you can get me to that feast, I'm sure I can take out the remaining careers. I've already studied the wiring on the pedestal." I stand there, shocked, this girl who looked helpless and scared about an hour ago is now planning a way to kill the careers?! I don't know what to say, so I just say,

"Cool, I'll get you there, as long as you don't kill me." She nods, and we just talk the rest of the day at our camp.