Chapter 9

Gleam's POV

I listen to a man named Ater explain the rules. "No fighting, you will have plenty of time for that in the arena. Each station has an instructor, who will help you with that skill. If you want to spar with another tribute, the instructors will give you blunt weapons. We want you all in one piece when we get to the arena." As he explained the rules, the other careers were not paying attention, laughing, and all have smug or snooty looks on their faces.

I could see Luster was getting along with them, but I didn't know any of them. I knew my best chances of surviving would be with them, and I have to show them that I'm a good ally. Once Ater was done, Luster walked over to me. "Hey Gleam, I want you to meet the others," he said, and he pointed at each one, "these are the 2's, Ajax and Blaze. The 3's, Mega and Techna, and the 4's, aka the twins, Siren and Finbar."

I talked to them, and I was surprised to see the 3's getting along with the careers. The twins are really nice, which is surprising because usually the careers are jerks. The 2's started to tease me, but they were nice too. And Mega is my favorite, while Techna was non talkative, I wonder if she will even be part of the alliance. Everyone showed their weapons, and they decided I could go last.

Luster showed his sword and spear skills, which he is great with close combat, but he's also a show off. The 2's are both good at throwing knives, Techna can make a bomb, but I could tell she wasn't showing her best. And Mega didn't really show anything, as I think that the 3's are planning something, and they seem like great teammates. The 4's are the best out of all of us, as Finbar is also a show off, and Siren is great at everything. "You're up." says Luster. I walk up to the throwing knife station, and I am average at it. I also try the bow and Finbar gives me some tips, saying to aim a bit higher than the target and to pull behind your ear. And as they practice their weapons, the 3's pull me aside.

"Ok, so we have a plan to take down the careers, Mega can make any deadly weapon out of any material." Says Techna,

"And Techna can make a bomb out of anything." whispers Mega, looking at Techna.

"So you can't tell them, but we are gonna run away and you're coming with us." I nod, and I like this plan.

"So we get on their good side, then we kill them later in the games?" They nod,

"Or, if we get the chance, the bloodbath." We all agree and I start to look at the other tributes, because the careers aren't the only ones that we need to watch out for.

The 5's look like a threat, as they are big and strong, but also speedy as I watch them run the gauntlet. The little girl from 6 is speedy, and knows how to survive, but she's no great at fighting. I watch the 7's, and the boy is great at an axe, but the girl isn't as good, and she also falls off while climbing a rope, but I can see the boy really cares about her, and isn't gonna let her die that easily. The 8's are not a threat, and I see the boy from 9 is highly independent. The girl from 10 looks tough, while the boy doesn't really. The boy from 11 looks tough as well, while the girl is not good. I see the 12's, who are not a threat, talking to each other, and I can see they like each other.

I can also see an alliance forming between the girl from 9, the boy from 10, and the 5's. Ater announces training is over, and I head back, eat a huge dinner, and fall asleep.