Chapter 20

Chaff's POV

I am awoken to a sound of a sponsor balloon beeping and flying down to Viscera and I. I feel bad as I should've been on watch the whole night but I feel asleep, so I wake Viscera up after I splash my face with water to make it look like I'm awake, but she can tell. "It's fine Chaff," she says, putting a hand on my shoulder, "I'll take watch tonight." I nod and open up the sponsor balloon, and I find a huge meal!

Viscera sees it and we both smile at each other. She takes it to ration and I find a note at the bottom. It says, "The capitol loves you and Viscera together, that's how I got this meal, maybe you could get a sword if you did something more! Seeder." I think for a minute what she means by me and Viscera, and I suddenly realize what she means. Together... I mean, I find Viscera attractive, but I don't think I'm ready, especially because only one of us comes out, and we both know that. We just stayed at camp for the rest of the day as Viscera told me that no one will come up this far.

I think of Siren chasing us down, trying to kill us, but the more I think, the more I realize how there's two of us and one of her. I could take her on, both of us together, who cares how many years she's been in combat training, if they have that in district 4. As the sun begins to set, I hear screaming from above us coming from a cave, and I know that scream, Soya.

I scramble up and start sprinting up the mountain to get to her. "Why are we going after her?!" Viscera calls, tripping after me, I don't even turn back,

"She's my district partner!" I yell back, and a hint of realization washes over her, and she starts running as well, all of us trying to get to the little girl till who knows what happens to her.

"SOMEBODY HELP ME! CHAFF!!!" I hear, which only makes me sprint faster, getting out of Viscera's sight as she yells thoughts like,

"What if they are jabberjays?!" But everything is answered when I see her dripping sweat, and blood stained snow, and little Soya being dragged in by another one of those ugly mutts, the same I killed last night. I rush over to her and grab her hand, screaming,

"DON'T LET GO!" As the mutt continues to pull, I'm scared we will just rip her and half. Her calves are dripping with blood and poison from the mutt's fangs.

Then, it happens so fast, I lose grip of her and the mutt and she is sent into a cave of these horrendous creatures, and I hear her screams and red, hot blood shoots out of the cave. I can't take it anymore, and I think I'm incapable of feeling anything now, as I just fall to my knees, hearing the canon signalizing her death. Viscera pulls me back and I walk very depressingly back to camp, where Viscera takes watch as I dream of little Soya, who was so innocent and too young to die.