Chapter 18

Siren's POV

Day 5 in this hellish arena. 6 are left, and I'm gonna make that stupid redhead and the district 11 idiot die a slow, painful death. I spent the whole day searching for tributes, and I found the little girl from 12, but she is too quick, that girl can run. I found her in the woods around noon and I swung my sword at her, but she dodged it and swept my legs out from under me.

She grabbed her backpack and ran. I got up and started sprinting, I had longer legs, so I knew I would catch up to her, but alas, I didn't. I lost sight of her and she's now in the field somewhere. I did take her fire and the remaining supplies she had though. I'm surprised she can run so fast, as I remember Luster threw a spear into her leg, which I have to thank him for because he took her best skill and turned it into a weakness, even if he was an idiot.

I stay at her camp for the night and I see the stars rise. It's so quiet at night here if you're not fighting. I think how I'm the last career and I think about my family back home, knowing that only one will come home. I see the stars in the sky. I know that it's all simulated and the sky couldn't even be real, but it's pretty either way. I hear rustling in the bushes and I grab my bow hurriedly, and load it, waiting for whatever it is to come out, I can shoot it in the face. I see pitch black, but it starts moving, like hair... or fur.

I shoot it immediately as I realize and I am pushed to the ground and I see fangs, and it reminds me of an animal that steals fish back in district 4, a black bear. But its fangs are razor sharp and it tries to snap at me. I also see poison dripping from its fangs which looks like they are straight from Satan itself. I shove another arrow into its eye and finish it off by shooting an arrow into its chest.

I kick it away, knowing if that poison touches anything, I'll be dead sooner than if I was shoved with a sword in the head, much like Ajax. I realize I just took down a whole mutt and I feel a sense of pride rush through me. I look to the nearest camera I see and nod, I know the capitol will love it. I hear a familiar sound and see a balloon coming to me. It lands in the bush where the mutt came from and opens it.

I find a loaf of bread, which is good because I was running low on food, and I don't trust the food here in the arena. I use my backpack as a pillow and fall asleep thinking what to do tomorrow, on day 6.